Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2012-02-26 22:16:03

redfan9

Oneye in Ubuntu 11.10

Hi all, it's me again... smile

Previously i've succesfully installed the oneye on my windows system and it works just great. And now i'm trying to move/change my system into the newest version of ubuntu 10.11. yesterday i've succesfully installed a fresh ubuntu 10.11 and just update all the software packages via the update manager. so now i'm looking for some help here:
1. installation documentation that i could use to install oneye in my new ubuntu 10.11 system.
2. the new ubuntu is using LibreOffice, is that would be a problem with the oneye's office support? if it yes, any solution to make it works?

thanks before.

regards,
redfan9.

#2 2012-02-26 23:36:58

lucaferrario
Administrator

Re: Oneye in Ubuntu 11.10

Hi redfan9,

redfan9 wrote:

1. installation documentation that i could use to install oneye in my new ubuntu 10.11 system.

Just set up a normal LAMP environment, with reasonable php.ini settings (so adjust the max memory, max upload file and max post request, according to the size of the files you want to be able to upload). Latest Apache and PHP version are 100% compatible with oneye 0.8.

redfan9 wrote:

2. the new ubuntu is using LibreOffice, is that would be a problem with the oneye's office support? if it yes, any solution to make it works?

You can try and see which commands changed and adjust the code....or install openoffice2 in a different directory, so you can use LibreOffice for your own purposes and OpenOffice2 for oneye wink (this seems to be the fastest way to have a working office support, I guess!)

#3 2012-03-27 10:03:00

redfan9

it's been a while since i posted this topic but i just couldn't tried it at the time because of some works. But now, i got some time to explore again oneye and tried to install it on my ubuntu.

Currently, i have two Ubuntu 11.10 (i guess i wrote the wrong topic title, sorry wink ) machine running, the desktop version (with GUI) and the server version (without GUI).

First, i tried to install it on the desktop version, the installation progress got some error with the sqlite but i ignore that and continue the installation then i got the oneye running. Then i tried the office support and i can't get it works. i've enable the office support as it instructed ini here : http://wiki.eyeos.org/Setting_Up_Office_Linux
is it because the sqlite? i tried to re-install the sqlite but it still give me the same error when i tried to re-install the oneye. any solution to make the office support works?

and everytime i run the Xvfb command "Xvfb :1 -ac -screen 0 800x600x16 -fbdir /tmp &"
it always prompt me an error

Fatal Server Error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running.

Second, i want to tried the oneye on my ubuntu server, but it didn't come with the GUI, so i got confused how to install oneye on it. big_smile
how do i install the oneye on the server version? just download and copy the oneye.zip to the www folder and simply extract it?

Third, any trick to install openoffice3 on ubuntu 11.10? because every time i tried to install it with apt-get install openoffice.org it always install the libreoffice instead.

#4 2012-03-27 17:52:47

s0600204
Website

Hi redfan9,

Firstly, what is the exact error you get from sqlite? As far as I know it shouldn't impair oneye, but it is a dependency of Open/LibreOffice.

Also, you don't need to run the Xvfb command if you're running Ubuntu (desktop). Xvfb provides something called an X-server. It is upon an X-server that the GUI of Ubuntu (desktop) is built. As Ubuntu (desktop) comes with a service that already provides an X-server, Xvfb is not needed. It is needed on an Ubuntu (server) without a running GUI however.

Secondly, yes, just copy the files across. Treat it like you're installing it on a remote server half-way across the world if that helps.

Thirdly, the reason why LibreOffice is installed when you tell Ubuntu to apt-get openoffice.org is because OpenOffice was removed and replaced with LibreOffice in Ubuntu 11.04. You can still get OpenOffice by downloading it directly from the developers' website: http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html (You'll want the "Linux Intel DEB" if you're running Ubuntu 32-bit, or "Linux x86-64 DEB" if you're running Ubuntu 64-bit.). That said, LibreOffice should work (it does for me).

Hope this helps.

#5 2012-03-29 10:13:48

redfan9

s0600204 wrote:

Hi redfan9,

Firstly, what is the exact error you get from sqlite? As far as I know it shouldn't impair oneye, but it is a dependency of Open/LibreOffice.

it says that i haven't install the sqlite but i already installed it. idk, but it seems oneye installer couldn't detect my sqlite...

Also, you don't need to run the Xvfb command if you're running Ubuntu (desktop). Xvfb provides something called an X-server. It is upon an X-server that the GUI of Ubuntu (desktop) is built. As Ubuntu (desktop) comes with a service that already provides an X-server, Xvfb is not needed. It is needed on an Ubuntu (server) without a running GUI however.

So, if i dont need to run the Xvfb, how do i run the office support for oneye? just run the soffice in headless mode like in windows platform? or is it because the sqlite error so the oneye could detect my office support config.
i already copy the eyeos.xba and edit the script.xlb but the office support still not work.

Secondly, yes, just copy the files across. Treat it like you're installing it on a remote server half-way across the world if that helps.

alrite, i'll try this after the desktop version works big_smile

Thirdly, the reason why LibreOffice is installed when you tell Ubuntu to apt-get openoffice.org is because OpenOffice was removed and replaced with LibreOffice in Ubuntu 11.04. You can still get OpenOffice by downloading it directly from the developers' website: http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html (You'll want the "Linux Intel DEB" if you're running Ubuntu 32-bit, or "Linux x86-64 DEB" if you're running Ubuntu 64-bit.). That said, LibreOffice should work (it does for me).

Hope this helps.

Ok, this really helps.

anyway, your libreoffice works for the office support? the path for copy the eyeos.xba is different with openoffice, right?! is it matter? do i have to change some scripts for eyeDocs to read the correct path?

#6 2012-03-29 23:51:07

s0600204
Website

Would this be the message about sqlite you get?:

Your PHP installation does not have SQLite support. Please consider installing the SQLite module. Without it, you will not be able to use the Mail Client.

Because that's not a problem unless you want to use eyeMail (aka Mail Client) within oneye. And it's not sqlite itself that's missing, rather the module that lets php access it. If you would like to use eyeMail within oneye, then the following should install what's missing:

sudo apt-get install php5-sqlite

Whether this module is installed or not should have no affect on whether office integration works. (I don't have it installed)

As for not running Xvfb, Open/LibreOffice is told to run in headless mode by oneye automatically. Strictly speaking Xvfb shouldn't be needed on the server either, it's just that Open/LibreOffice likes to have an X-server to 'talk' to, even though it's not going to actually display anything. roll

And yes, my installation of LibreOffice works with my install of oneye. Yes, for me the path for eyeOS.xba is slightly different than the guide's:

/usr/lib/libreoffice/basis3.4/share/basic/Tools/eyeOS.xba

..but no, I didn't have to edit anything other than what the guide said I had to.

#7 2012-03-30 06:06:55

redfan9

Yes, thats the error message that i got. but since i also not considering to use the eyemail so i ignore it and continue the installation. smile

ok, i've tried to run the soffice in headless mode but i still coudn't get the office support works. i can save documents in .doc and .odt but when i tried to open it, this message shown in the eyevisor instead of what i've saved:

Warning: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/eyeos/eyexxxxxxxxxx/apps/eyeVisor/events.eyecode on line 82 Warning: fclosed() expects parameter 1 to be resource. boolean given in/var/www/eyeos/eyexxxxxxxxxx/apps/eyeVisor/events.eyecode on line 83.

and when i click the edit button, the oneye give me a notification that i should enable the office support.
any solution what i should do with the eyeVisor's events.eyecode?

#8 2012-03-30 13:03:44

s0600204
Website

Just out of curiosity, when you create a .doc/.odt file in oneye, does it open correctly if you download it to your computer and open it in Open/LibreOffice natively?

Could I ask you to confirm that entering 'soffice' on the command line opens Open/LibreOffice, and that the eyeOS.xba is in the correct place? Whilst I'm sure you've followed the instructions to the letter, on my system /usr/lib/libreoffice/share does exist but placing eyeOS.xba in /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/basic/Tools doesn't work whilst /usr/lib/libreoffice/basis-3.4/share/basic/Tools does.

As for eyeVisor's event.eyecode, admittedly it probably needs to catch the error like eyeDocs does, but it should otherwise be fine. The problem seems to lie with either eyeConvertor or the vfs service. Next time you attempt to open a .doc/.odt file, could you navigate to [eyeroot]/users/[usr]/[userFolder]/tmp and see what's been added by the process? (It may help to clear out the folder beforehand.)

#9 2012-03-30 13:14:43

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Hi redfan9,

it took a while before I got to help in this post, too wink ...
Most things are already answered, but the following is a short summary...

1) Best way to set up a good web environment would be to use

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5

2) Thread title corrected...
3) The SQLite problem affects eyeMail only. As you will see, it does not start up, but closes with an error message instead. There is some information on how to install SQLite2 for PHP on Ubuntu 11.10 over at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1861925 .
4) Some older releases of OpenOffice.org (including all OpenOffice.org 2 releases) require a working x server in order to work correctly. In case of Ubuntu Desktop instalations it's already running and you'll get the above error message. Don't hesitate, it's all correct wink ...
5) You should be able to use LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice.org 2 on Ubuntu systems.

Finally I recommend you to check the following settings: System Preferences > System > Office Support

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#10 2012-04-15 15:06:53

redfan9

Hello again smile

I just want to let you now that the oneye now my ubuntu server 11.10 is working properly. The Office Support is working now. Not sure either, but i think the problem earlier relies on the folder permisson. So, after i install the Xvfb, and i run the chown command, and now its working. Thank you for the support guys. I think either the oneye application it self and the community support of this application should be a great example of how the open source application/community should be.
Great app and great community support...!!!

Thank you once again!!!
big_smile

#11 2012-04-15 15:18:03

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

redfan9, it just sounds great for me smile !

In a future release I'd like to simplify and mostly speed up (!) the office support. My first tests already show great results on IIS and Apache, either Windows or Ubuntu.

Installation just means installing LibreOffice and setting some user privileges (on Linux chown, on Windows changing the service's user).

Although these improvements are tested with the Word Processor only for now!

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer