Fork me on GitHub

#1 2012-03-14 01:22:27

sstring

[FIXED] Desktop settings on SVN 7404

Regarding my previous thread, I have now upgraded to the latest SVN revision 7404 and still have some bugs to report. Seeing how you already tagged my last post as [Fixed] I thought I'd post another report.

These bugs are regarding to the "Look & Feel -> Desktop -> Settings" screen. When changing your own user settings:

Unchecking "Save window positions" works as intended.

Changing "Desktop Icons" to "Fixed" and then "Save" does save the changes but the settings button stays on "Smooth". The "Fielded" setting works as intended.

Checking "Use Doubleclicks" doesn't actually save the changes.

Checking "Turn system sound off" works as intended.

Some bugs when changing the '[Default user]' settings as root:

Checking "Save window positions" doesn't actually save the changes.

Changing any of the "Desktop Icons" bullets and then pressing "Save changes" doesn't actually save the changes.

Checking "Use Doubleclicks" doesn't actually save the changes.

Checking "Turn system sound off" works as intended.

These bugs are also present on Sable's SVN test site.

Something I have been considering from a user POV: The checkboxes auto-save (Popup: "Changes saved successfully") when you click them but when you change the bullet settings you have to click on "Save settings". I don't know the term for it but wouldn't it be "proper" to have all the settings saved at the same time when you click "Save settings"? Another way is to make the bullet settings auto-save just like the checkboxes.

That's all for now. Thanks!

Last edited by sstring (2012-03-14 01:24:31)

#2 2012-03-14 14:54:38

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: [FIXED] Desktop settings on SVN 7404

Thanks for reporting. Just continue that way and oneye will be the most stable system on the world ;-) ...

I just fixed all of this in revision 7406.

The "Save changes" button's gone away and desktop icons settings are saved as they change. Finally the "does not save" thing has happened cause we missed creating a folder for specific settings. This could/should affect other eyeControl related problems, too smile !

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#3 2012-03-14 16:39:04

espectalll123
Website

lars-sh wrote:

Just continue that way and oneye will be the most stable system on the world ;-) ...

Hmm... oneye, the most stable system... Getting a so big market share that we could get more users than Windows... Every website with oneye installed... Lots and lots of apps available... tongue

Now real things: thanks for fixing this bug!

P.S.: How can I automatically download SVNs?

Last edited by espectalll123 (2012-03-14 17:04:59)

#4 2012-03-14 18:08:08

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

espectalll123 wrote:

P.S.: How can I automatically download SVNs?

What operating system do you use?

I use TortoiseSVN to manage my SVN repositories on Windows 7...

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#5 2012-03-15 00:35:20

espectalll123
Website

OK, I use Mac OS X Lion, with the SVN tool installed from MacPorts. So, you know how to use SVN with UNIX-based systems?

Last edited by espectalll123 (2012-03-15 00:36:05)

#6 2012-03-15 12:13:37

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Hmm... There is a way to do out via command line... But maybe some other could help here. Probably Luca?!

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#7 2012-03-15 21:45:40

s0600204
Website

What you could do is write an AppleScript-based application and set it to run everytime you login:

Locate and open the application "AppleScript Editor" (It's installed with Xcode, one of the dependencies of MacPorts, so you'll probably have it), create a new document if it hasn't automatically generated one for you, then write the following code into it

do shell script "svn update <path to local working copy>"

So it reads something like

do shell script "svn update ~/svn/oneye/branches/1.9"

If you then press "Compile" (it may ask you to save it if you haven't already) followed by "Run", you should see in the "Result" box the output from the process.

Now I don't have MacPorts installed so it may work differently for you. You may need to specify an absolute path to svn (eg. "//usr/bin/svn") and if you have spaces in your path (eg. "/svn/like this/oneye") you'll need to use two (not one) back-slash to 'escape' them (eg. "/svn/like\\ this" - the first 'escapes' the second for AppleScript)

Usual rules when using svn update apply, for instance you can specify multiple working copies to update by typing them one after the other like so:

do shell script "svn update ~/svn/copy1 ~/svn/copy2 ~/svn/copy3"

Once you've got it to how you like it, go to "Save As" in the "File" menu and save it as an "Application", rather than a "Script". This bundles it up nicely. Oh, and make sure the 'run only' box is unchecked so you can edit the script within at a later date.

You should now have an application that updates your svn working copies whenever you run it. To get it to run at startup, add it to the list in "System Preferences">>"Accounts">>[My Account]>>"Login Items"

Should you need to edit it at a later date, simply Ctrl-click the application you created, select "Show Package Contents", then navigate to "Contents">>"Resources">>"Scripts" and edit the file called "main.scpt" that resides within. With this file, if you select "Compile" the Application will be updated automatically.

Hope this helps, and apologies for both the long post and its off-original-topic content.

#8 2012-03-15 23:31:52

espectalll123
Website

OK, thanks, s0600204! smile

P. S.: Yep, I used AppleScript before... tongue

Board footer