Fork me on GitHub

#1 2012-03-19 22:15:07

mbunds

[FIXED] Mini Actions Desktop Positions Bug

Unless I missed something, miniActions needs a configuration dialog that allows a user to recall it to the center of the desktop.

What happened is this:

I ran a test of oneye desktop on a PC with a large monitor having 1920 x 1440 resolution, and dragged miniActions to the left edge of the monitor.

When I got home later, I ran a test of oneye on a PC with a smaller monitor having 1280 x 1024, but could not see the miniActions window, so I thought is did not launch.

Today, when I got to work, I opened its configuration files in the user profile and found its position was set off of the screen, which made sense finally since I could see its process running on the smaller screen, but could not see the app. I manually edited miniActions.xml to restore it to its default position, and when I restarted by oneye session, it appeared as usual.

If one of my users "lost" the app, it would be nice to offer a way to bring it back onto the screen, or even better, detect the size of the browser window and keep it within a relative distance from the edge of the screen.

Corporate Intranet Developer
XAMPP 1.7.7 Apache 2.2.21 MySql 5.5.16 PHP 5.3.8 FileZilla 0.9.39
Mercury Mail 4.6
Joomla 2.5 oneye 0.8.0

#2 2012-03-19 23:58:30

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: [FIXED] Mini Actions Desktop Positions Bug

Thanks for reporting. I just fixed it in revision 7415.

The positioning code is quite old and looks even stranger to me. Maybe someone could take a look at it and post or send me a nice patch for it?!

There are some possibilities:

• Saving based on the screen's size (Could result in problems when using resized browser windows or variable number of e.g. toolbars...)

• Saving relative (Sounds nice to me, but remember to remove the window's width from the screen's one prior to calculations!)

Please remember, that future implementations need to be 100% API compatible to the current one and they should either be backward compatible to the current saving scheme or we implement a migration script into eyeDesk (as we did it with prior changes to conifguration schemes).

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#3 2012-03-20 18:20:10

mbunds

What did the fix in rev 7415 do? I have not applied it yet, so I haven't tested it...

If it restores miniActions to screen default position at each new session, that is more than good enough until a solid system for allowing custom configuration of its position at session launch can be properly written to API guidelines.

I am still studying the system and the API development guide, since my main thrusts are:

1. To fix the spreadsheet (new topic will be created for this as you suggested)

2. To create a simple and secure database application that meets the oneye API guidelines.

3. To document thoroughly and simply for new and experienced users.

Corporate Intranet Developer
XAMPP 1.7.7 Apache 2.2.21 MySql 5.5.16 PHP 5.3.8 FileZilla 0.9.39
Mercury Mail 4.6
Joomla 2.5 oneye 0.8.0

#4 2012-03-21 01:04:17

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

mbunds wrote:

If it restores miniActions to screen default position at each new session, that is more than good enough

When creating windows on the desktop (eyeApps) layer we checked if the x and y coordinates are withing the width and height ranges. In case one of them is not, the default Window position is used.

In one of the latest eyeos 1 releases I moved the widgets from the eyeApps layer to an own one in order to keep widgets open when all windows get minimized - there's a button on the left/bottom to do so - but I missed to add this change to the Window creation system, which finally didn't do the Window positions check for widgets any longer.

So finally windows on the widgets (eyeWidgets) layer are checked in the same way as I described for the eyeApps layer at the top of this post.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer