Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-09-15 23:31:05

Alexandre

eyeOS Professional 3.0

Your reactions after eyeOS team just released eyeOS professional ?

I am surprised that Lars did not know about it...

#2 2011-09-15 23:42:58

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: eyeOS Professional 3.0

Hi Alex,

why do you think I didn't know that?

eyeOS Professional Edition does not change the situation inside the oneye community. We're not in a market, in which the oneye community fights against the eyeos company. At first the oneye project does not have enough resources and for now we focus different users. (Same for eyeos series 3.)

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#3 2011-09-16 00:09:19

Alexandre

Dear Lars,

Honestly... reading the posts on oxeye forums, I read:
- that oneye should integrate MySQL
- that oneye should have professional features
and it appears that... it is eyeOS professional edition !

I am now waiting for eyeOS 3.0 open source to see which features are freely available but, except the big disappointment to see eyeOS having a commercial license, eyeOS professional edition perfectly fits my needs and has all the features we are talking here for oneye.

Now I do not see the interest of the oneye project... and I do not understand why you were pushing in the professional direction if you knew that it was already done by the eyeOS team...

#4 2011-09-16 11:03:14

MatBoy

The problem with EyeOS is that it became paid from an open source project, which is bad.

Even when it's open source, you can still pay for it in such cases, it's an evil product at the moment.

The thought from the past is just wrong and because of that and the support they gave the OSS community, it's still a strange feeling that they give.

I have seen the same with enomalism. We have spend time on it, we tested a lot and finally they made it a pay-version.

It's better to help each other because the fact is that I need a different desktop than you do... so just bundle forces smile

#5 2011-09-18 11:08:15

Ansem
Website

EyeOS feels like another scam for me now.
Seriously, since 2.x started, Nothing but disappointments.
1.9 released was the last time I was like "YES EYEOS IS AWESOME THANK YOU"

So Lars, give us that feeling again smile

My website: http://www.dedeno.net - Learn Japanese
So many are still waiting for their new beginning, even you and even me

#6 2011-09-22 14:12:25

lucaferrario
Administrator

I don't know what 3.0 is like. I tested 2.5 though, and I still think that eyeOS 1.9.x is much better, under a lot of points of view.
And there is an important fact: as the time passes, eyeOS seems more and more "company property", while oneye refuses that approach and wants to be "community driven".
You see on the forum new people proposing to develop new features and Lars telling them "Hey, do you want SVN access?". This is COMMUNITY. Do you think that this would be possible on eyeOS? I don't.
Anyway, of course I wish a lot of success to the eyeOS guys, but we thought that this is better and that the 1.9 project was too beautiful to let it die.

#7 2011-09-29 14:01:40

Ansem
Website

Exactly.
Too bad I suck at scripting.
I'm messing around with a script now to integrate into 1.9 as an app, but no good luck so far.
I think I'll mess around and convert an app first.

My website: http://www.dedeno.net - Learn Japanese
So many are still waiting for their new beginning, even you and even me

#8 2011-10-01 17:48:27

lucaferrario
Administrator

Hi Ansem,
I'm happy to see that you want to start developing applications in oneye! smile
I've just written a short tutorial about oneye programming... Please, have a look!
Have a nice day!
Luca

#9 2011-12-28 14:40:58

Morrisonsfweb

I am really excited about the features of the new “professional” edition, but I am afraid that it will be out of my reach on cost. Are there any plans for a “family” edition or a “small non profit” edition?

#10 2011-12-29 07:02:10

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

The oneye project team has no direct contact to the eyeos team right now. [As far as I know wink ...] I cannot answer you that question. oneye is available as open source release only. You can also get the latest code from our SVN at SourceForge.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer