Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-07-21 17:11:06

gunnarschlei
Website

make oneye professional

As I stated some time ago on the eyeos forums, eyeos (oneye) is a great platform for personal use. For professional use however it still lack's a lot of features for productivity as well as administration.
As we are making a fresh start with this great platform, I want to re-publish my proposal to see if we can make oneye a real contender in the PaaS / DaaS market. Then we all could provide commercial services to SMB's around the globe.
As I can't attach doc's here, I will just paste the whole text.

Proposal for eyeOS enterprise edition

Introduction
Cloud operating systems are the future for personal and business computing. The rise of ultra mobile devices and the lowering costs for cloud computing resources will change the way we approach and use ICT in the years ahead. These developments call for online platforms for personal and business productivity.
Also, recent events like the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and the earthquake in New Zealand  make us aware of the vulnerability of our locally stored data.
In Japan, not only thousands of people died but also hundreds of thousands personal computers, servers and storage devices where destroyed. This loss adds to the humanitarian and economic disaster already taking place. Whilst houses and infrastructure can be re-build, data can't. If people in the disaster areas had used cloud computing technologies on a large scale, at least the “digital disaster” would have been prevented and re-building the regional economy would be much easier.
For those, and other, reasons it is time to boost the use of cloud computing platforms, either as DaaS (Desktop as a Service) or as dedicated hosted solutions in private or public clouds.
In our view this should be done by developing and implementing open source solutions making use of open standards to provide cloud computing facilities to every one and not only to large enterprises.
One way to achieve this is to develop the eyOS web desktop into an enterprise class platform. We choose eyeOS because it is the best open source cloud os to date.

Pro's     
EyeOS 1.x is a very stable, lightweight and fast web operating system. It is easy to install, maintain and use. At the moment it is perfectly suitable for personal use.
It is very versatile and development of new features and applications is relatively easy to achieve. It's architecture makes it safe and yet expandable. The way files and users are organized into groups gives it the potential to be used in complex environments.
It has a large user and developer community with highly skilled and motivated members.

Con's
EyeOS's capabilities for business use however are limited. The limitations are most obvious in the lack of collaborative features like shared calendars, task lists and mailboxes. Also the lack of productivity and business applications (word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, ERP, CRM, etc) make it unusable for SMB's and non-profit organizations alike.
The functionality of existing eyeOS applications are far too limited and current work-a rounds (zoho office, eyePass integration of external applications) are unsatisfactory, due to limitations in the integration of applications and great effort of administration. Especially for larger organizations the current solutions are not sufficient.

Solution
To make eyeOS a business class solution that could easily compete with commercial VDI's like Citrix or the (soon to emerge) Microsoft web os we propose a project to add certain crucial functionality and management features to the existing eyOS 1.x.
The following is a (incomplete?)list of things to do:

Applications

Office:
Make office applications with more functionality. Business users have a crucial demand for fully featured office applications for word processing, spreadsheet and presentations. Support for templating and macro development are highly important.  Research into the integration of OpenOffice/LibreOffice code or seamless integration with existing solutions like Ulteo application server. Alternatively research integration of existing code like JCE (word processing) and simple spreadsheet.

Groupware:
To make eyeOS suitable for business use, an Outlook like groupware solution is an absolute must have. Either improve and extend the existing applications for email, calendar and tasks or build a tighter integration with open source groupware projects like FengOffice (OpenGoo) or SimpleGroupware.   

Business Applications:
Develop  functionality for ERP and CRM or tightly integrate or incorporate existing projects like SugarCRM and WebERP.

Image editing:
Develop image editing functionality (e.g. building an interface for AIE)

Web browser:
Extend eyeNav in such a way that Https connections are possible and all requests are handled server side. Goal is to make sure that client browser does not steal focus in case of new windows and that downloaded files are saved in eyeOS VFS.

Administration
Develop a mechanism to publish / unpublish applications on a per user / per group basis.
Implement a session time out and session lock feature. 
Implement quota management on a per user / per group basis.
Implement file / folder permission on a per user basis.

#2 2011-07-21 22:26:08

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: make oneye professional

Hi Gunnar,

I'll explain things in the blog in some days, but here's a first summary of what I'll post:

These days I'm working on a new business project, which already powers the development of oneye 0.9. It will take over the oneye project and community and will still give support for oneye 0.8 for some time.
That way of migrating to a new system allows me to do my business work and additionally giving support for oneye 0.8 as long as oneye 0.9 does not feature similar features.
Starting the oneye project was my first step to separate the community around eyeos series 1 from the eyeos series 2 community.

oneye will change its name when series 0.9 gets published. This need to be done, cause I'd like to integrate the business project's name and additinally "oneye" is already in use at http://oneye.com/ and http://www.oneye.com.au/ .
Changing the name is definitely not the best way, but at least is one. And content of the oneye project won't get lost, since I'll move all of them (blog, forums, wiki) to the new infrastructure when it's time.

Please tell me What you think about this.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#3 2011-07-22 00:34:21

amazonwebservices

I think office thinking is fine but I'd rather have a APP based structure more inclined to cloud computing plugins for massive open source with admin features being built in.

#4 2011-07-22 08:09:21

Alexandre

Hello,

I have been a great supporter of eyeOS 1.X (my name is even present in the list of supporter in the software) and I have been hoping for such a "professional" eyeOS for years. I abandoned eyeOS when it moved to 2.X version which has never been stable, never been able to create a community of developers and never had basic features.

I am EXTREMELY happy to read about the oneye project and I completely agree with gunnarschlei ! Count me in and tell me how I can help (translation, testing, etc).

#5 2011-07-22 16:21:49

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Welcome back Alexandre, it's nice to see you're back again!

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#6 2011-07-25 09:47:31

Alexandre

Hello,

One good inspiration in term of Features would be FengOffice. I use it everyday and it has most (maybe all) features needed: shared calendar and address book, documents, tasks, tagging system, etc.

I think it is a good basis to define the missing features for oneye.

#7 2011-07-25 14:43:20

lucaferrario
Administrator

Hi Lars, Gunnar, Alexandre and AWS,
here you are what I think the philosofy of oneye should be (of course, everything is IMHO, and I'll wait for your opinions!):

• I think that oneye should be a great BASE for every personal or professional usage. I mean that all the basic functionality should work out of the box (file management, address book, calendar, email (I suggest Roundcube!), calculator, notepad, to-do list, image app, mp3 app, video app (Youtube integration?)).

• It should be easy to integrate features. For example, the "eyeIframize" app of eyeos 1.9 is a great one, because it makes it easy to integrate other web-services into eyeos, so that companies can integrate themselves (or pay a programmer to to it) the other webapp they need. By playing with session spoofing and a MySQL database is possible to integrate 95% of existent web-services in a seamless mode (including open-source CRMs and ERPs). Most webapp also provide easy-to-integrate APIs.

• In my own opinion, trying to develop a web Office (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations) by ourselves would be a bad idea, because it's a far too complicated task for a small community of developers and there are already some great web offices (Zoho, Google Docs, ...) maintained by thousands of developers. Instead, easy integrations could be made, as I said at the preceding point. Oneye should concentrate on the base, flexible and modular....and that implies for example a good way to upload many files from the PC to the remote OS (non-flash, if possible), maybe with a good synchronizer too

• oneye should have a normal skin and a touch-optimized one.... This one should not limit the user to a very little range of features (like the mobile interface of the current eyeOS), but should just have optimizations like big buttons, longtouch context-menu, drag'n'drop for touch (well, we could also build only a "one size fits all" skin, of course!). Resolution is rapidly growing in tablets, so that is not a problem (there are no tablets below 1024*600 today, and I guess that within 1 year 1280 will be the standard width)

• I agree that the name should be changed (there are too many computer science companies called "oneye", including a chinese software house)... To encourage other developers to join us, I suggest Lars not to give the same name to his commercial project and to the new open source OS (I'm absolutely happy that you will do a business with it, because an open-source project with some businesses behind it has great opportunities to become successful....but developers who write code just for fun and personal usage should not feel like they are working free for a company, otherwise they will stop doing it. By the way, as I told you some time ago, I'm also trying to create a small start-up and use eyeos for some Italian customers, and I'm sure Gunnar and Alexandre are doing the same (and of course AWS)).

• I think that the standard PHP/AJAX structure that runs on a normal Apache hosting (if necessary with a MySQL database, which is not a huge requirement these days) is the road to follow. Of course a company can make adjustments if they need so (AWS), but I guess that 90% of eyeOS installations run on a standard Apache+PHP environment, because they are the most used in small companies (and I don't think that eyeOS should target large enterprises, since there are already a lot of huge companies working on those targets)

PS = It's great to know that Alexandre join us!!! smile

#8 2011-10-02 06:40:55

Jmulvaney

lars-sh wrote:

oneye will change its name when series 0.9 gets published.

Do you have a name yet?  I have nimbilus.com if you like the sound of this?  NimbilUs was/is the name I gave my project in this same space.  I am hoping to be a strong contributor/partner to the oneye development/community - assuming we are all on the same page (it looks like we are).

Nimbilus is a play on words:
nimbus- as in the name of a cloud
Nimble - as in flexible IT that will rapidly adapt
Us - as in the community

Last edited by Jmulvaney (2011-10-02 11:06:54)

#9 2011-10-02 14:06:11

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

I'm really not sure about the project's name and probably the wrong person to find a good one (just like "I'm a developer - not a designer" wink )...

I just started the project "media23" (together with two others from Germany). It's a small project (might get an own company later) offering simple websites (already based on the server side oneye 0.9 kernel...

Would you like to start a new thread for a discussion on the new project name, please? I just create a wiki page, which can be used to list all suggestions. It's http://wiki.lars-sh.de/doku.php?id=comm … rojectname .

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer