Fork me on GitHub

#1 2015-07-09 07:45:05

Wolfy

lowly View Images vs. stately eyePictures- declared a draw, for now.

This just goes to show how much I am still learning on a day to day basis.  I started testing some of the pre-installed apps on a clean install of the latest 0.9.6 from github. That is how I accidentally figured out the bug in eyeMediaPlayer, yesterday.

Today, I started testing the image viewers.  That's when I realized that eyePictures is slightly more than just a decent image viewer and that View Images is less than a decent image viewer. 

A few ideas immediately struck me:
EyePictures should be a full-fledged picture editor, and View Images should be a full-fledged picture viewer.  To make this happen, most of the buttons from eyePicture's toolbar should be moved to View Image's toolbar, freeing space on the former's. The eyePicture's toolbar should then be refilled with as many image editing scripts (php or js) as we can find or write to cram in there.  Barring that, I can see little to no reason to keep the overly simple View Image app, and while the rudimentary editing functions built into eyePicture are individually rather impressive, if they aren't expanded upon, they almost aren't worth keeping.  With or without the editing features, it's really the only image viewer you need. 

It would probably be easiest to start with two copies of eyePictures. Then modify and surgically remove parts of each until they look like two different apps.  smile  I like where that could lead. 

I have also been casually searching for a good image editor to patch in.  Years ago, someone wrote an app for  pixlr.  It's one of the flash app sites that are still around and functioning.  The original pixlr is now called pixlr express and there is a more advanced version available now.  The old app and the new one that I cloned from it almost work, but there is a problem when they try to send a picture from oneye's virtual file system to the pixlr flash app.

"An error has occurred, please try later!
[IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2032"]"

Finally, I don't know where the app is supposed to save a file (and it doesn't ask me either).  I'm guessing that the app is probably just dropping it into the bit bucket, as I never see it again.

There are numerous other possible flash image editors, but I would really rather throw out all the flash, including pixlr, in favor of improving and using what we already have.

Wolfy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oneye/
Currently accepting new users...  http://www.OS1.hawkwolf.net
onEye admins: OS1 is a beta testing hotbed. Non-core apps available upon request.

Board footer