Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-11-01 22:54:43

lucaferrario
Administrator

IMPORTANT: eyeOS 1.9/oneye 0.8 is moving to a new SourceForge project!

Hi guys,
it's been some months since we forked from eyeOS, to grant a future to eyeOS 1.9.x.
What was called eyeOS 1.9.x has now received several improvements (which you can find in the updated SVN) and we are almost ready for a new release.
Since we forked, all the commits have come from me or Lars (plus a few commits from FireWalkerX). Now Lars is very busy with his new project (oneye 0.9 which, in spite of the name, will be a totally different  system compared to the current oneye and will probably not be compatible with current eyeos applications). So he can't guarantee commits anymore to this project, although he will certainly remain registered to the SVN and commits some bugfixes sometimes.

Since I don't want to see eyeOS1.9/oneye0.8/whatever die, I've thought about opening a new SourceForge project (currently our SVN is still on eyeOS' SourceForge account, and obviously if you open the project page, SourceForge tells you "hei, download eyeOS 2.5, which is the latest version!", which is a bad thing to attract new users and developers).
Since oneye 0.9 (the one which is being developed by Lars) will be a different product compared to the current oneye, it would make sense to choose a different name, to avoid confusing new users and developers.
So I will found the new SourceForge project this week and we have to choose a name. Please submit your proposals!
Of course, this forum will remain our forum, at least until oneye 0.9 get released. Also, this site will have links to the new SourceForge project and the project will have links to this site, since it is its "father" smile

So...who's in?? smile What names do you suggest? Before posting a name proposal, please check that it's not in use by an IT company or another IT project.

Thank you....I hope you like this idea and you are willing to become a new user, developer or documentor! (we really need all of you!)

#2 2011-11-02 00:14:21

Ansem
Website

Re: IMPORTANT: eyeOS 1.9/oneye 0.8 is moving to a new SourceForge project!

So, this oneye 0.9 won't be a continuation of the 1.x series ?

My website: http://www.dedeno.net - Learn Japanese
So many are still waiting for their new beginning, even you and even me

#3 2011-11-02 00:16:24

lucaferrario
Administrator

Nope...the continuation of 1.x series will be the new project I'll found this week and the one which we have to choose a name wink
With the new project, a release which includes all the SVN updates will be made! And hopefully we'll find more developers and documentors.

The details about oneye 0.9 will be given by Lars in the future (I don't know them too, I just know it will be a different system, written from scratch)

Last edited by lucaferrario (2011-11-02 00:18:40)

#4 2011-11-02 13:29:01

Jmulvaney

I'm a little confused now.  Why do we want to keep 1.x series going?  Because of the current apps already available?  With EyeOS 2.5 and Lars project both being a complete re-write, something about 1.x must be fundamentally wrong with it.  Perhaps it's now end-of-life and time to retire?

#5 2011-11-02 15:29:17

lucaferrario
Administrator

Well...I'm developing on 1.x and, though I think that there are obiously some  improvements to be made, I still find it a great and modern webOS base to work on.
But it's just a matter of opinions....if you find 2.5 better, just go for it wink
So I would like to know if someone thinks that 1.x is worth having a new sourceforge project or not....cause if everybody thinks like you, maybe I'm not doing this whole thing.... Please express yourself guys!

#6 2011-11-02 15:40:43

Ansem
Website

But, wasn't the whole point of oneye to continue the 1.x branch, if you're just going to make splitoffs again, whats the whole point of this project ?

#7 2011-11-02 15:53:29

lucaferrario
Administrator

I also thought this....but then it came out that Lars is writing a new one. He has probably saw some limits in the current architecture and wants to build a new one... since instead I like the current architecture, I want to give it a dedicated SF project. It's just a matter of opinions, no one is right or wrong.
Technically, this is not "another" splitoff, since the successor of eyeOS 1.x has not been released yet (the updates are only available in the SVN), this is why I want to do the moving now...to make the first successor release with the definitive project name and roadmap.
Ok, I still need to know who's in this...I'm not doing this if I'm alone...

#8 2011-11-02 22:15:42

MatBoy

Hi,

This is kinda fun.

Indeed, Luca has changed some things, iPad support which is huge amount of work.

Now, actually there is no oneye 0.8, it's a rewritten EyeOS 1.8 or 1.9 what you might like.

I have discussed this this Luca and told him that the best way is to put it on a good site that has potential. SF is a place, but for Developers kinda dead. GitHub is also nice, but paid and it needs to be free.

My idea was to make a several of SVN's where people can take the base, develop parts on it, and using the "Master Team" the best commitments are integrated into the base.

So you have a Base SVN, with subSVN's under it where devs can do and test their own versions.

This including a self hosted (very good) website I think it's a great oppertunity to make this a succes.

In this way people just don't get it from SF, test it and throw it away, they just are made exited to do something with it.

This is my perspective.

Cheers,

Matt

#9 2011-11-03 16:47:40

lucaferrario
Administrator

For an open-source software I like more open platforms like SourceForge (why is it dead for developers? It's the biggest open-source platform in the world...). And in a few minutes we're up and running with all the resources (bugtracking, roadmap, a public homepage, svn, ...). And also, eyeOS is on sourceforge, so maybe old eyeOS users will use SourceForge as the first platform to look for forks.

I really like the idea of having an open SVN....Yeah, we'll have 2 branches in the SVN so: "Official" and "Open"....in the open everyone is allowed to commit and the most interesting features implemented will be integrated in the Official branch.
Do you guys have any idea about the name, so I can start the project?

#10 2011-11-03 22:18:26

Ansem
Website

What will Lars actually be doing with oneye then ?

#11 2011-11-03 23:04:43

lucaferrario
Administrator

He will release oneye 0.9 when ready....and probably some alpha and beta releases before... I don't know what is the current state of the development, I guess he needs some more months, since developing such a complex system from scratch seems like a very huge job... I hope he will tell us in this topic maybe...Laaars?!? smile

#12 2011-11-03 23:41:30

MatBoy

lucaferrario wrote:

He will release oneye 0.9 when ready....and probably some alpha and beta releases before... I don't know what is the current state of the development, I guess he needs some more months, since developing such a complex system from scratch seems like a very huge job... I hope he will tell us in this topic maybe...Laaars?!? smile

Check his blog, he will release some video's in some days.

#13 2011-11-04 20:00:47

Ansem
Website

But I mean, will oneye still be a web desktop like eyeOS ?
Will there be any legacy support in between your continuation of eyeOS 1.x and the upcoming oneye 0.9 ?

#14 2011-11-06 16:49:40

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Hey guys,

sorry for being absent for some more days.

"oneye" should be something like a codename for a project, working on the continuation of eyeos 1.9. Our roadmap talked about oneye 0.8 as stable (not legacy!) and direct continuation right from the eyeos project and oneye 0.9 as rewritten framework based on the ideas collected from people in here and over at eyeos.

I apreciate this step from Luca and I'd like to support such a new project, too. As you might understand, I just need to work on the so called "oneye 0.9" project, which I'm using over at media23, a small project/company I'm earning money with. It won't be compatible to oneye 0.8, but features a lot new things... As example: I'm running several systems (publicly) based on just the same kernel system files.

I've no idea for such a new name, sorry.

Ask me in case you've some more questions or need help with something.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#15 2011-11-06 18:06:54

MatBoy

Lars,

Thanks for the reply, but you are a little bit vague.

What is your poeject, what license will it be and what can we expect.

As I also need other dev than most people I only need a stable base, and I think iPad support and so on like Luca had started needs to be in a base.

Can you be more specific because in this way the project dies, and I think it already does.

Cheers,

Matt

#16 2011-11-08 14:43:57

Ansem
Website

MatBoy wrote:

Lars,

As I also need other dev than most people I only need a stable base, and I think iPad support and so on like Luca had started needs to be in a base.

Can you be more specific because in this way the project dies, and I think it already does.

Cheers,

Matt

Just needs some time to grow I guess, I do agree with the chance of the project dying, but for different reasons, developers splitting up is not good, developers working together is a big pro. However, as both go their own way, we just need to sit it out until they've finished what they're making and a new project emerges, in which new people can contribute.

#17 2011-11-08 21:49:15

MatBoy

Ansem wrote:
MatBoy wrote:

Lars,

Cheers,

Matt

Just needs some time to grow I guess, I do agree with the chance of the project dying, but for different reasons, developers splitting up is not good, developers working together is a big pro. However, as both go their own way, we just need to sit it out until they've finished what they're making and a new project emerges, in which new people can contribute.

The issue is for an example that I'm back looking @ ulteo...

#18 2011-11-19 15:11:17

lucaferrario
Administrator

Due to the lack of interest, I've decided not to make the fork. What was called eyeOS 1.9.x will probably slowly die, unless someone really wants to help (programming, not giving good ideas...we have plenty of good ideas, we need programmers who translate ideas into practice).
I've worked on some bugfixes and small improvements I'm going to commit to the SVN in the following days, and then I'll ask Lars to throw a new release, so we can have an improved version of what was eyeOS 1.9.
But I've stopped developing "huge things", such as complete tablet support (at least it's much better than 1.9, but a lot of things should be done to make the experience satisfactory), a new non-flash advanced uploader, and some architectural improvements which would be required...

#19 2011-11-20 09:51:51

daniel

I think you shouldn't give up! There are a lot of people interested in this and I'm sure that when we have a new release with a decent website and a good documentation we will attract a lot of developers as eyeOS 1.x has done in its early days.

I'd really love to help you on developing this, but actually I'm working full time (40h/week possibly 42.5h/week next year due to the new Portuguese austerity measures) and I'm currently doing my BSc in Applied math and computation. That only leaves me with a negative free time. Although in January there are some modifications I'd like to do for eyeOS/oneye if I have time (during January/February I won't have classes because it's exam season): Finish ONchat (and rename the damn thing) so we can include it as the default chat app (or at least include its comet (real time) api), create guest users and using that add the possibility to run eyeApps standalone (the idea is to let users access http://example.com/eyeOS/eyeFTP and show only eyeFTP with a few options for things like logout and login with specific user).

#20 2011-11-20 13:10:02

Ansem
Website

I still have a book with Zend certificate programming for PHP 5 but due to education.
(Major in history, alpha subjects, yeey ) in which I have nothing to do except learning theory theory theory, leaves me with very little spare time.

#21 2011-11-29 02:31:10

lucaferrario
Administrator

I've just committed some bugfixes and improvements to the SVN. As I said before, I had to stop developing the "huge things", because my time is limited, so I need someone co-developing with me, otherwise I can't work on huge and time consuming new features alone.
You can find a list with the latest improvements at this topic.
As I said in the preceeding post, I'm not forking, because I've not the time to do that alone...if other developers will be interested in the future in forking and granting a future to the project, please contact me and I'll be happy to collaborate with you!
Hey Daniel, if in february you have time, please contact me then, so we will be able to discuss new features and organize our development wink

Lars, I think that it's time to throw a new release, so that everybody can have all the bugfixes and improvements which have been made in these months wink

Last edited by lucaferrario (2011-11-29 02:34:41)

Board footer