Fork me on GitHub

#1 2015-08-23 18:57:52

Wolfy

eyeLink icons

Sorry about this, but I just found a small bug.  I might even be able to fix it myself after I get back from the bank.  Of course, I wouldn't have noticed the bg if I hadn't bent the rules.  when I first started playing with 0.9.0 and 0.9.5, I remember being able to create an eyeLink on my desktop, and then move it to my personal or group folders.  I thought I was able to move them with the oneye menus, but eventually, I had to start moving them where I wanted them using the file manager on my server interface or moving them around locally and uploading them that way. EyeLinks are odd fellows being able to exist as a single entity in the VFS, but that peculiarity made it easier to move them around.  Either way, whenever I moved an eyeLink I would lose whatever icon I had selected for it.  They all have the rocket launcher icon now, except the one or two still on the desktop.  I ran across an eyeLink file on my hard drive and opened it up to see how hard it would be to convert EyeLinks directly to regular apps.  Then I saw the icon problem. The eyeLink file resembled something like XML. In the icon tag, there is only the name of the icon, such as "eyeTube.png" not a path reference, like "index.php=extern..".  It must just default to the launcher icon when it doesn't find the icon in its location.  Somehow using an eyeLink on the desktop doesn't need the path for the icon.  I want to be able to create eyeLinks and casually copy/paste/delete(ie- move) them around to wherever I want, including to an app category, but I know that's not really possible, yet.  It might be possible though to plug eyeLinks into my multi launch apps, then delete the originals.  I just started thinking about how that might work out, it could get real messy too.

PS: sent from Cat Explorer on Windows93.  I was trying to extract this browser from the rest of the code, but it is like windows in that way. Their Cat Explorer is tied so closely to the rest of the system that I have yet to be able to extract anything resembling a working, standalone browser.  I want to use it as one of my multi app launcher templates, mainly because instead of buttons or tree lists, it has drop down menus for hot links. (Come to think of it, you don't see a lot of drop downs in oneye.  Anyway, even if I could cut out a working copy, the work would have just begun. It's full of hokes, bad jokes and weird redirects to prank people mixed in with some of the most awesome sites I've seen.

Last edited by Wolfy (2015-08-23 20:14:39)

Wolfy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oneye/
Currently accepting new users...  http://www.OS1.hawkwolf.net
onEye admins: OS1 is a beta testing hotbed. Non-core apps available upon request.

#2 2015-10-18 13:44:25

Wolfy

Re: eyeLink icons

That last post about eyeLinks was all over the place.  So it's understandable why there were no replies.  Let me start over and try to form some actual questions. 

I was originally dropping them into the group and public areas for my guests to find, so I know for sure that they work from within any vfs folder, but in the process they do lose their custom icon.  They turned into portable apps with a generic icon.

Can you fix it so that eyeLinks can be moved to different vfs personal or group folders? and keep their icon? Pleeease?

That's my question.  The rest is all just explanation of why I really really really want to have this feature.

Sometimes I want to keep a bunch of them together in a folder on my desktop where they are handy but not cluttering up the desk, until I decide what to do with them. Currently, that group includes about 8 web os'es and web consoles, but could just as easily be embedded facebook posts or embedded videos. Sometimes I want them in my personal home folder but still other times I want to share them with one or more users, either via group access or by placing them in their home folders.  I would really like to have that ability without having to run to the back end.

Finally, for those times when I want to share it with all the users for the foreseeable future, I also want an app that makes apps out of eyeLinks. I think I might be able to write it myself, but it also seems deceptively too easy.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into it.

Wolfy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oneye/
Currently accepting new users...  http://www.OS1.hawkwolf.net
onEye admins: OS1 is a beta testing hotbed. Non-core apps available upon request.

Board footer