Fork me on GitHub

#1 2015-11-12 06:00:31

Wolfy

My final Glitches and Bitches list

I posted this on facebook also.  It's my personal list of ideas, concerns and a few things that still don't work quite right.  I would like to hear discussions on any part of it.  This is only regarding core apps.  Lars says he doesn't like the idea of placing dialog, full screen and help buttons in the toolbar, but I really like the idea. 

Enumeration of Glitches & Suggestions, with Commentaries

by: Moses Wildermuth

Updates- When do you know if the dependencies should be updated?  The oldest have been in there about 6 years, since 2009, and the newest ones (according to the official list) are about 3 years old.  The list might be about 3 years old too.

Less utilities, more apps- Most apps should be considered applications. Only apps that cannot be launched by the user should be utilities.  Don't limit your user's choices, but don't give them too much power either (suggestions on root/admin only apps follow). Apps that would be useful when launched by a user, but are designated as utilities aren't really very useful at all.

Block most apps from running more than one instance at a time- Most apps do not need to run more than once at a time. If an app gets launched twice concurrently, there is a very good chance it is in error. Either there were too many clicks, the desired window is hidden behind other windows or minimized on dock bar. This includes opening 2 eyeFiles to the same directory (especially opening "groups:///", "home:///" or "real:///" when they are already open.  Each app will have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.  If there is obviously no reason for an app or location to be opened twice, or the second action will greatly interfere with the first, then block it automatically. If there is doubt or the action can cause no problems, then ask whether the second launch was intentional. If not intentional and they only need one window (which is already open), do the nice thing and pop the window they want to the top. 

Add buttons to the title bars- Some existing functions or new functionality can be placed on the title bar. I have found code that places a button in the title bar using javascript (via rawjs).  Universally moving the "help" and "full screen" buttons to the title bar would make sense. Some apps that do not ordinarily have a menu bar (eyeIframize, eyeMP3, and eyeVideo, for example) could be given some useful functionality in the title bar. In this case, EyeIframize and eyeVideo need, at a minimum, a "full screen" button, while eyeVideo and eyeMP3 could both use an "open file" button (eyeDialogue). 

Flash- It seems to be still going strong, but from what I can tell, it is no longer being updated for linux. I also think Chrome really wants to drop it.  If Chrome drops it, Opera will soon follow suit. If Chrome stops supporting flash, then a few apps (most notably eyeMP3 and eyeVideo) will break. You might want to have replacements ready before that happens.

Hotfix for Autostart- Add a few lines of code to every app, so that if the app is autostarted and then closed, it will request whether or not to be autostarted on the next login.

Samples- Include blank (and/or sample) documents in various formats, especially native formats, including vcard, eyedoc, eyesheet, eyepresentation, pdf, and sample media files in any format that still works natively: JPG, GIF (animated), PNG, MP4, MP3, etc.

Comments and glitches by specific app.

exit- It works fine, but perhaps an "Are you sure you want to log out?" requestor can be added to prevent accidental log outs.

addLink/editLink- My comments are already logged on the forum, but to sum it up: I would definitely try to unlock the full capability of eyeLinks.  Allow them to exist elsewhere than just on the desktop. It would especially make sense to allow eyeLinks to be placed into group folders so that they can be shared with others. Not doing so is an example of limiting the user's potential and also making him feel more isolated than already is. I can think of no reason not to do so. Currently, an admin can place them wherever he wants but has to go through backdoor to do it. It would also be incredibly awesome to have an app that the admin could use to convert an eyeLink into an installable app.

eyeAddressbook- The "Full Screen" button isn't really necessary for this app, either drop it or move it to title bar. It is interesting that this app creates, imports and exports vcards, but no one would know it unless they took time to look at it closely. Perhaps change the title that is seen by the users to EyeVirtualCard.  There are several versions of the v-card out there, do we know which version(s) this app creates or accepts?

eyeApps- I think "Manage Dock" is one of those things that should only be run by root/admin.  "Install Apps" is completely useless currently.  Ordinarily, I would say ditch it, but since only admins can run it, it can stay, on the off chance that another app repository is established.  The "Full screen" button is unecessary. It can be dropped or moved to the title bar.  If those two suggestions are done, root will see a menu bar with "Manage Dock" and "Install Apps", but regular users will not have a menu bar at all. Currently, icons for the default categories are hardcoded, and all new categories automatically get a "system" icon. EyeApps should provide a settings function to change any category icon, whether default category or a new category), but if that seems a bit overkill, it could simply ask the admin which icon to use whenever a new category is established.

eyeBoard- This could be the admin's most useful tool, that is, IF anyone knew it was there and bothered to read it.  This app needs a notifier.  The notifier needs to run at startup and place an alert somewhere (I suggest placing the alert on the top dock bar) to let a user know if any new posts have appeared on the Board since his last visit.

**eyeCalendar- Move "Full Screen" & "Help" buttons to title bar.  As you may remember, we had problems with this app before. The prefs are still flaky, they do not show the default calendar in the settings window, if I try to add any calendar, it says the name already exists, and the table displays incorrectly. Causes are currently unknown.  The tables display properly and the prefs seem to work on my main OS1 system, but not on fresh oneye-master. I was unable to save new calendar name on either setup. Both are on site 5 server.  Perhaps the prefs do not work unless a calendar is pre-saved?  More testing is required.

eyeContacts- This is merely a redirect to eyeAddress. It might be needed to preserve compatibility with some old apps, but I kinda doubt that it's going to require any effort in the core to get rid of it.

eyeDesk- Comments posted to Forum as a feature request, but I would consider this a glitch, as this is where most people would expect to find the "Icon Reset" function  (from System Prefs).  Add that to the desktop popup menu, either separately alongside the "refresh" button, as a replacement for the "refresh" button, or combined with the "refresh" button.

eyeDock- Comments posted to Forum as Feature Requests.  Disallow more than one menu to be placed on the bottom dock bar, instead allow 2-3 layers of menu bars to come off of that single menu (as in Windows 95-98).  "Manage Dock" should be admin only.  There should only be one eyeDock config controlled by the admin.  Every user should have the same eyeDock config.  When it changes, everyone's config should be updated at same time.

eyeDocs- The document's title appears in the title bar when clicking the doc's icon, but not when using file requestor.  In addition, saving an open doc with a new name does NOT replace the name in the title bar.

eyeFeeds- "Full Screen" (not really needed) and "Help" buttons can be moved to title bar.

eyeFiles- "Full Screen" (not really needed) and "Help" buttons can be moved to title bar.

eyeFTP- App will not go back up the tree (on site 5).  More testing needed if public FTP site can be found to test on.

eyeGroups- A user only sees groups that he belongs to.  This is kind of silly.  A user can not know about groups he cannot see, so I think a user should see all group folders, but can only enter those he belongs to. The user should have the option to send immediate request for membership  in any group( request sent to both admin and if exists, the specific group's manager/maintainer (?)).

eyeIframize- Add "Full Screen" button to title bar. It would be possible to add full functionality via the title bar (back/front/reload/etc) but it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

eyeImages and eyePictures- Analysis of these two apps posted on Forum. Currently, they overlap each other but don't really complement each other.  If both apps are kept, some features should be moved from one app to the other and vice versa. One could be kept solely as a quick viewer with the slide show feature, while the other is upgraded as much as possible to be the native image editor, but more editing features are needed to make it worth using.  Also move "Full Screen" buttons to title bars (both apps).

eyeMail- Bad glitchy app. I created two SMTP email accounts through site5, and was able to setup the SMTP accounts on eyeMail. I think it locks up anytime it tries to read or even to delete emails containing HTML. It locks up alot, so the cause is still technically unknown. More testing required. Move "Full Screen" button to title bar.

eyeManageApps- see eyeDock for comments.

eyeMedia- Its name and default icon are misleading.  It would seem like it would play music and video files.   I'm not sure what's going on with it, but I've only been able to play music files and the audio portion of video files.

eyeMessages- Another one of the admin's best apps for communicating with his users, but only if the users are aware that the admin is trying to contact them.  Needs a notifier app.  See eyeBoard.

eyeMP3- Unless phasing out flash, add file requestor (eyeDialog). Could do that from title bar

eyeNav- Move "Full Screen" and "New Window" buttons to title bar. In addition to numerous feature requests, I could probably find several actual glitches in this app if I tried, but it's days as an internet browser are numbered.  It would need a rewrite from ground up with all new assumptions.  It may still have usefulness as an internal or localhost browser.  I intend to use the interface from its app.eyecode as the start of a gui for new window based browser.

eyePictures- See eyeImages.

eyePresentation- The first thing I noticed, it is not the default opener. eyeShow is default "maker" and opener. I tried to open sample.eyeshow in eyePresentation by using the "open with..." dialogue. The eyePresentation window opened and gave an error that I was already on the last slide and could go no further. No matter what I tried eyePresentation would not open an eyeshow file properly. It gave me the "last slide" error every time. It seems the eyePresentation app is broken and unnecessary as eyeShow will do all of the same functions.

eyeProcess- Every app needs a matching 22x22 icon in addition to the 48x48 icon for use in eyeProcess.  Some apps will need 22x22 icon but don't have a 48x48 icon (as they are currently counted as utility rather than application).

eyeSheets- eyesheet is not listed in filetype prefs.  Even after adding eyesheet filetype, this app will not save a file with the eyesheet extension.  It will only save files as ods, however, it will not open ods files due to eyeVisor interference ( the "open with" method works).   If I manually rename an .ods to .eyesheet,  the "new" eyesheet file will open without being blocked by eyeVisor, but since it won't save an eyesheet file,  work must be saved as ods or it will be lost. The spread sheet's title appears in the title bar whether opened by icon or requestor, but saving an open file with a new name does not update doc title in title bar.  ie> opening Blank.ods and saving as test.ods leaves blank.ods in title bar.  Move "Help" and "Full Screen" buttons to title bar.

eyeShow- The title of the presentation never appears in the title bar, regardless how you open or save the presentation. Otherwise seems fine.

eyeSoft- see eyeApps.

eyeVideo- Unless phasing out flash, add file requestor (eyeDialog) to the titlebar. This would allow it to be application not just utility. Also allow window to be resized, maximized, and made "full screen".

eyeVisor- This helper app is currently useless unless the recommended "unoconv and open office" solution is used.  If that solution is not used (or as in my case, cannot be used), eyeVisor only gets in the way and causes confusion and problems. Perhaps eyeVisor could be modified so that documents in unreadable formats can be downloaded or the user can send them to another suitable app.  Otherwise, eyeVisor and unoconv are both unecessary and could be optional.

HelloWorld- As a utility that never gets called this is useless and a waste of space.  Either make it an application or get rid of it. If it is sample application, provide copies of source code where all users may see it.

miniActions- Current config is unorganized and rather pointless. I stopped using it almost immediately. It needs a prefs routine that allows a user to select the apps that appear.

miniHome- A very misleading name. It is not related to eyeFiles.  Maybe it can get a new name, like miniQuota.  That's all it does it tell you how much space you have used. I think.

miniCalendar- If main calendar works so does miniCalendar (appointments will appear here as well), if main calendar is broken, so is miniCalendar.

miniMessages- If run from autostart, it might have worked as a "notifier" for Internal Messages.  Sure the refresh button works, but it doesn't autorefresh the contents so messages are still likely to be missed.

Wolfy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oneye/
Currently accepting new users...  http://www.OS1.hawkwolf.net
onEye admins: OS1 is a beta testing hotbed. Non-core apps available upon request.

#2 2015-11-12 13:41:44

Wolfy

Re: My final Glitches and Bitches list

I forgot to mention, Lars has fixed a few glitches on this list in last github master.

Wolfy
onEye admins: OS1 is a beta testing hotbed. Non-core apps available upon request.

#3 2015-11-14 23:24:37

Wolfy

I may be wrong about miniMessages.  It does seem to auto-update when a new message arrives.  It's still not exactly what I was looking for, but I'll put it in autostart and test it.  Maybe a tweak here or there might give me what I want.

Wolfy

#4 2015-11-23 20:32:03

Wolfy

In my big list of glitches and bitches I asked about dependencies.  What about using Composer to handle that?  https://getcomposer.org/

Wolfy

Board footer