Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2012-01-11 20:22:47

AlbuquerqueApache

Apple devices and Oneye

As is well known, Apple has decided that HTML 5 will replace flash. Unfortunately, they have removed flash without letting most people begin using HTML5. As a result, certain features in oneye don't seem to work on them ( at least on my IPad, I haven't tried an IPhone) such as upload/download and .mp3s don't really work. I noticed its because these features seem to use flash.

I love oneye and I donated!

#2 2012-01-12 13:59:21

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: Apple devices and Oneye

At first I've to say thanks for the donation. I'm a bit lazy answering mails, but you'll get an answer to your mail soon wink !

Let's do some analysis based on the oneye 0.8 code first:

Where do we still use Flash?

What's to be replaced?

• eyetetravex is a Flash based game and I guess none of us really'd like to rewrite it using JavaScript. Even though keeping this away from mobile devices isn't a big problem for the project I guess, is it?

• eyeUploadX was written some years ago to allow users to upload multiple files at once. Nowadays this can be done natively on modern browsers, so I recommend moving to http://valums.com/ajax-upload/ .

• Replacing Flowplayer is somehow more problematic. The HTML5 video functionality and especially available codecs don't work well for all browsers. Guys, what can we do here?

• SoundManager2 allows us to play audio files using JavaScript. Internally it's based on Flash, but we're already using HTML5 where possible. Yeah, this is how it should be everywhere smile !

• Right now eyeMp3 is our lightweight mp3 player. The simplest way'd be to remove it completely. eyeMedia (based on SoundManager2) would replace its position.

What's next?

What do you think about this?

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#3 2012-01-12 17:25:05

AlbuquerqueApache

I think it is great. it's been awhile since I have done any JavaScript or I'd offer to replace the flash based uploaded in my current installation with the one you mentioned.

Don't worry about the email smile I'm just glad you responded to my post.

I saw that you need someone to write a Wikipedia page for Oneye. I will volunteer if you want. smile

#4 2012-01-13 03:45:20

lucaferrario
Administrator

From oneye 0.8.0, Soundmanager2 is full HTML5 compliant and always defaults to HTML5 Audio if browser supports it, leaving Flash just as a fallback.
What prevents all the sounds from being played on the iPad is a fucking "unwanted sound preventer" of Safari: only sounds following a touch event are allowed to play (the same mechanism of popup blockers).
So we have to invent a trick to let all the sounds play, by simulating a touch event or something similar (right now even login and logout sounds do not play, and the reason mentioned above is the only one to blame). I'm not even sure about this to be possible... hmm

PS = I don't see flash as the priority for iPad usability.... I think that the priority is a context-menu replacement (a long-touch menu). I'm not sure this is going to be easy, since the "oncontextmenu" event is not even implemented into Safari. We have to manually measure the touch time and still we must find a way to prevent the browser to capture the event and show its own menu (like "copy string" or "save image")... I have to admit, I'm starting to hate Safari... big_smile

Last edited by lucaferrario (2012-01-13 03:50:38)

#5 2012-01-13 15:35:46

AlbuquerqueApache

The .mp3 functionality is really no big deal. I can get around it. The big problem is the lack of an upload/download feature ( unless I'm just overlooking it). I noticed it would copy with a long touch , but really had no place to put the file.

#6 2012-01-13 17:07:41

lucaferrario
Administrator

Wow, I've always guessed that the simple uploader would have worked... I tested right now with my iPad and you're perfectly right: it doesn't work at all!
It seems like eyeUploader must be upgraded soon to support the iPad... In these days I'm too busy, I'll have a look in some weeks...

#7 2012-01-21 18:00:14

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Wtf, it's not working on iOS devices?

I suggest to remove the Simple / Advanced tabs in order to replace both by just one, that handles Valumns Uploader. Luca, what do you think?

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#8 2012-01-21 18:06:19

lucaferrario
Administrator

I absolutely agree, Lars!
But unfortunately, I don't have the time to implement it sad
If you have it and want to do it, of course I would be very happy and I think that it would be great, because having a single upload engine which works on every platform without requiring any plugin is the best case, for sure! I also wanted to do that, but then I gave up due to the lack of time (those days there were worst bugs and plus I didn't know that the simple uploader did not work in iOS)...

#9 2012-01-24 23:43:26

lucaferrario
Administrator

Guys....YOU'RE NOT GONNA BELIEVE ME, BUT... Here I copy/paste from the Apple official developer documentation:

File uploads and downloads
Safari on iOS does not support file uploading, that is, <input type="file"> elements. If your webpage includes an input-file control, Safari on iOS disables it.
Because iOS does not support file downloads, do not prompt the user to download plug-ins like Flash on iOS. See “Using the Safari User Agent String” for how to detect Safari on iOS.

Yes, you're right, even in iOS 5, Safari DOES NOT SUPPORT UPLOADS NOR DOWNLOADS!!!!

In fact, I've just tested the Valums file uploader demo...and it does not work on the iPad...that's crazy... Apple does not want webapps to be too good, otherwise they would not make enough money with their Apple Store...

The only solution is to download a different browser (there is "Webuploader" on the App Store, which kind of unlocks the upload buttons, but I haven't tested it)...
Sorry for the bad news, guys...

Board footer