Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-09-09 00:51:33

lucaferrario
Administrator

PNG minimize policy

Hi Lars,
I write on the forum instead of writing you an email, so that other users can partecipate if they like.
I've seen that you've generated the ".min" versions of all PNG files, as it happens for JS and CSS. I've 2 proposals to submit to you:

1. I read something about PNG optimization and it seems that, no matter the level of optimization you'll get, you'll never lose quality, because the compression is always lossless. While with JS and CSS it absolutely makes sense to have non-minimized versions to edit the code, for PNG this is probably unuseful, since the only difference the minimized version has is being smaller in size.

2. By looking at the icons, I've seen that the larger part of the minimized version are equal or bigger than the non-minimized ones! The current minify script runs the default optimization level, which is 2 out of 7. I've run some tests, seeing that the 5th level is probably the best, because it reduces the PNG's sizes more than the default level, but it's not slow (at least on low resolution images). It's not fair to go for the 6th or 7th level, because they make it much slower, without granting a real smaller output file

So, my proposal is to modify the minify script to use the 5th optimization level and to overwrite the original PNG image only if it's able to generate a smaller one (remove the -force option) and avoid the generation of .min files that IMHO are just a waste of space.
So the command would become for example:

"docs\libraries\OptiPNG\optipng.exe" -fix -o5 -quiet "eyeOS\extern\apps\eyeX\themes\default\icons\12x12\close.png"

What's your opinion about all this?

#2 2011-09-10 04:09:04

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: PNG minimize policy

Thanks for the proposal smile . The current png files of eyeos were already minimized some time ago, but some new ones did not. I'll change the script and remove the minimized icons again smile !

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer