Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-09-13 09:57:49

MatBoy

Using MySQL for the eyeos core

Is it an idea to build some wrapper so we can store all kind of things into a MySQL DB instead of XML's ?

I think this is main issue to have because this can give OnEye a great explosion in growing.

#2 2011-09-13 10:23:18

lucaferrario
Administrator

Re: Using MySQL for the eyeos core

Welcome to the forum, MatBoy!
Well, I think I don't get your point...if an app that you build needs MySQL, you can use the normal php functions (I've already built some apps with MySQL and I've had no problems at all). Or maybe you were talking about the eyeos core that you think should use MySQL instead of XML?

#3 2011-09-13 10:32:47

MatBoy

Hi Luca,

Thanks for welcome me!

You are right, I needed to be more specific and I mean the core of the application indeed.

If we could build some wrapper around the core we might be migrate easier to a MySQL backend in the future. It means that we can discuss and test the Database Design and in this way migrate it.

I hope this makes it more clear!

#4 2011-09-13 11:23:09

Alexandre

One of the biggest change between eyeOS 1.X and 2.X is that 2.X is based on MySQL... so integrating MySQL in eyeOS 1.X is just... reinventing eyeOS 2.X.

Just my humble opinion...

#5 2011-09-13 11:34:20

MatBoy

Alexandre wrote:

One of the biggest change between eyeOS 1.X and 2.X is that 2.X is based on MySQL... so integrating MySQL in eyeOS 1.X is just... reinventing eyeOS 2.X.

Just my humble opinion...

I don't agree with that.

What is the reason of storing in seperate files instead of centralized MySQL ? 2.x is very different in design than 1.x

In my opinion is 1.x just better than 2.0, more user base, but needs to be more centralized in storage. 2.x is a hork in dev, too complex if you ask me.

#6 2011-09-14 00:51:34

lucaferrario
Administrator

Hi all,
I agree with MatBoy: eyeOS 2 is totally different (it is worse under a lot of points of view in comparison to eyeOS 1, IMHO...that's why oneye forked smile ).
Anyway, I get your point, MatBoy. eyeOS 1 was designed some years ago to have the lowest possible requirements and to being able to run on cheap shared hostings, which often didn't offer MySQL. Now times are changing and MySQL is usually offered at a few euros a year as an option also on the cheapest shared hosting on the market (sometimes it's even included).
So I also think that relying on MySQL instead of XMLs would be more comfortable (especially for companies), but honestly I don't see it as a priority and I don't have the time to do that huge work. Also, thanks to SAN and NAS technologies, the file-based structure of oneye is not difficult to deploy in the Small Medium Enterprises (it would be a problem in large enterprises, but they have different needs and already busy markets, so I don't think that oneye should focus on them).
If someone would like to work on it, it would be fine...but sorry, I'm not doing that (and I think Lars neither).
Many thanks for the contribution, it is so great to see the oneye community growing fast and discussing about the oneye core future innovations smile

#7 2011-09-14 01:10:25

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Better splitted the topic.

I just answered here: http://forums.lars-sh.de/viewtopic.php?pid=179#p179

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer