Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-07-21 22:26:26

daniel

The future

I was really happy when I saw Lars's announcement on the eyeOS Forums, but now I'd like to ask you about the future of oneye. I understand that right now the idea is to continue the development of the 1.x series, but are there going to be any plans for the future?

Personally I think that right now we should focus on delivering new enhancements to the current system whose developments have been stalled for quite a long time, but thinking on the mid/long term we could make oneye what eyeOS 2.x couldn't: a webos of the future!

My vision is a tool written mainly in PHP with a great js framework which would be able to write eyeOS 1.x-like apps, but those apps could be ran standalone or in a number of different desktops (think about different UI's like gnome-panel, gnome-shell, kde...)

I hope you're understanding what I mean...

#2 2011-07-21 22:33:29

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: The future

I'd like you to read http://forums.lars-sh.de/viewtopic.php?pid=14#p14 . Just tell me about your ideas. Maybe I'll be able to integrate some of the into oneye 0.9.

But as you can read in the linked post, it's the base of a new business project, so for first I won't officially talk about what features will get into that new release.

Hmm... even though I'm quite sure you'll see some interesting blog posts about the development at http://lars-sh.de/ .

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#3 2011-07-21 22:33:39

gunnarschlei
Website

Hi Daniel, I think we are all on the same page. AWS came back, I wrote my proposal and Lars explained where he is going. So I believe that oneye has a more professionals future, no matter what.

#4 2011-07-21 22:38:20

daniel

I like where it's going smile

Currently I've started worked full-time and I'm still planing on continuing my BsC, so I won't have much (any?) time to help, but I'll always be around to give help and my 2 cents. I just hope that this "business project" won't cloud (ie hide) everything in the future.

#5 2011-07-21 22:53:52

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

daniel wrote:

I just hope that this "business project" won't cloud (ie hide) everything in the future.

To make this sure:

You'll always be free to post your own opinion about the community and the business project.

I guess you can understand, that - in critical circumstances - I'll stay to the business, but the oneye project will always be my free-time hobby - my baby.

But there will be critical changes to the license model of oneye 0.9 comparing it to oneye 0.8:
Private usage will be free and source will be open, but I'm sorry for all businesses, since they'll be strictly forced to donate either money, developers (for code contributions) or massive community support.

That's not a step towards closed software, since oneye will stay open source, but I won't give away my software as "free for all".
Hope you understand this. In case you don't let's discuss about it wink !

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#6 2011-07-22 00:13:24

amazonwebservices

I do not see the development of the software .08 in the same way anymore.  I atually see both eyeos and oneye as nearly defunct with out a major grasp on cloud computing.  I built out my company to take over the world as we all do - I wanted to rule the desktop world....

As I tried to scale on Amazon I found issues with the platform and also with the cloud at AWS.  These problems are massive and even larger with eyeos 2.x

I honestly believe and I see a major change taking place in how we host our websites for large groups of users.  A simple hosting account is fine for small web sites and a simple install for software like eyeos when you have 1-30 users.  A dedicated server can be used for SMB 1 - 100.  After that, eyeOS is hosed.  I am not ranting on eyeOS - I love it - but it is like a child who wants to drive a car....BIG WRECK.

Cloud computing is the future for large install sites.  Right now every large site is changing to Cloud computing.  This pay as you go and scale and de-scale as users join is most important feature for saving cost.  A date site I know in USA goes from 2 AWS instances on monday-thursday and increases to 3000 instances on Fri - Sat - Sun.  If they had a install base at a colo doing that, they would be broke now out of business.

Getting back on track.

The primary goal of this project at start should be support of cloud computing stacks and middle ware.  Then the tools to make and develop the SaaS addons (SaaS = oneye).

This should be main point one.  Otherwise, as computing switches to cloud - fewer and fewer eco systems to develop and use on this platform will exist.

We are all talking about decorating and buying furniture and the house we are in is on fire....the platform we exist on is on FIRE.....

"Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem," he clarifies, "This means we're going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem."

http://www.osnews.com/story/24390/Nokia … s_Burning_

#7 2011-07-22 00:23:56

amazonwebservices

lars-sh wrote:
daniel wrote:

I just hope that this "business project" won't cloud (ie hide) everything in the future.

To make this sure:

You'll always be free to post your own opinion about the community and the business project.

I guess you can understand, that - in critical circumstances - I'll stay to the business, but the oneye project will always be my free-time hobby - my baby.

But there will be critical changes to the license model of oneye 0.9 comparing it to oneye 0.8:
Private usage will be free and source will be open, but I'm sorry for all businesses, since they'll be strictly forced to donate either money, developers (for code contributions) or massive community support.

That's not a step towards closed software, since oneye will stay open source, but I won't give away my software as "free for all".
Hope you understand this. In case you don't let's discuss about it wink !

I would agree with Lars.  Lars you need sponsors.  You need to put a list together of what you need - hardware services - tools - cash - donuts - whatever that is.  Then you need to post your needs.  Once those basic needs are accomplished, you then need to add yourself as a need....that means what does lars need to eat sleep stay warm and comfy and generally make a living.....and not live like a monk....unless you like to live like a monk :-)

This needs to be a 2 phase operation for funding....with a third phase possibly being Lars and friends....not pets but coders working in house for the project.

There needs to be a revenue stream once a month that puts a amount of money in the hands to get the features needed or do the things needed...

anyway.  That is my thought.  We can give programmers and cash and cloud hosting or hosting in general....but must ensure our path of development is aligned with yours.  Otherwise, we or you will be making stuff not needed by us :-)

#8 2011-07-22 01:08:00

daniel

I have no problems with enterprises putting money on open source projects (actually, I think that should be how it works). The problem is when the power of those companies hurt the project.

#9 2011-07-22 05:50:18

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

daniel wrote:

The problem is when the power of those companies hurt the project.

I guess you're talking about a situation, that we all know of xD ?!

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#10 2011-07-22 09:21:30

gunnarschlei
Website

Wow, this is a substantial discussion the like we have never seen in the other forum. It's good that we put our cards on the table, But rather than telling each other about our business ideas and needs, we should be thinking about how we can work together. If we can find a form of business collaboration we could launch commercial SaaS, DaaS, PaaS on a global scale instead of setting up individual earning models and individual companies with individual names. We could, for example, set up companies with the same name in our own countries and then offer unified services internationally.
For business user this would be beneficial as they would be sure of compliance with national laws and regulations.
I don't know where Denial and Luca are from but with Lars, AWS, Steven (if he's wants to) and me We could cover Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, France and the US. We could set up individual companies with the same name make websites with the same template and offer the same services based on the same product. By joining forces rather than going alone we can generate more impact and marked share. I firmly believe that collaborating is beneficial for us and everyone else.

#11 2011-07-22 15:25:14

daniel

Here we can say things that we shouldn't on the other Forums, because they were mostly read by people interested in the project and looking for help (that's why I think it should have a mailing list...)

I'm from Portugal. Here it is quite hard to implement any kind of open solutions, most people have the idea that open source is only for geeks and that it's unsecure, unstable and sometimes illegal neutral

I hope that with this new project we can get everyone involved in building a great platform.

#12 2011-07-22 16:20:58

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

daniel wrote:

I'm from Portugal. Here it is quite hard to implement any kind of open solutions, most people have the idea that open source is only for geeks and that it's unsecure, unstable and sometimes illegal :-|

There are quite a lot foundations organized from Germany, but most people here think just as you explained it.

lars-sh wrote:

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#13 2011-07-22 19:02:06

amazonwebservices

In America - Open Source mash up's are the king.

Famous opensource mashups

1. Salesforce.com
2. redhat

Ok the list goes on.  There is a strategy to opensource.  Use it to create freemium service.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium  Then roll out special premuim services on the site.  Who cares where the software comes from if your a user....right....

Silicon Valley is HIGH on opensource.

Check out cloudbees.com

#14 2011-07-22 20:16:11

gunnarschlei
Website

In Europe open source acceptance is growing too. The reason why I propose a concerted approach is that we would be one big multinational cooperative and not just a few individual SMB's. To potential customers we would seem like one organization and that would earn us more striking power and we would be taken more serious. The global SaaS and DaaS market is big enough for all of us but too big for each one of us alone.
Maybe we could have a web conference some day soon. I can set it up on my openmeetings server any time.

#15 2011-07-22 21:14:35

amazonwebservices

I have no problem with that.

#16 2011-07-22 23:46:05

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

There should be no big difference between Europe and the USA (in this topic):

For example KDE and The Document Foundation get managed from Germany. But that does not mean, that non-freeky people understand the idea of open source. Even some in my family ask again and again, why to publish source code of my own work.

Gunnar, I like that idea and we should make clear what market we'll work for. As example, my business project is not about SaaS or DaaS...

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#17 2011-07-23 02:13:08

amazonwebservices

"Non Freeky people"

That is a funny quote Lars.

I have a meeting with our board members of the company.  I would like to propose a federation of work.  We all create our roadmaps - we see where they are similar and diverse.

From that point we begin working in various directions but ensure that the updates and re-work all work together.  Think LEGOS....

I also will be willing to release for free to our "SPECIAL" group cloud computing accounts to develop on.

#18 2011-07-23 08:32:14

gunnarschlei
Website

I agree with AWS on this one. Make a Lego web os and plug in whatever the customer demands. About the non-freaky people; I migrated an absolute computer illiterate person to Ubuntu just 2 weeks ago just because she did not want to use Microsoft products. And I've had more like her in the last months. People are loosing their trust in the big players and are seeking solution they can relate with. The project I'm working on right now is a community platform / ezine for my Euregion and we have a group of 50 people working with us on that without knowing if we ever get payed. for this project I'm using eyeos as office environment but sadly enough are migrating to 2.5 at the moment because there I can collaborate better than in 1.9 and the interface is easier to understand.

#19 2011-07-23 22:57:31

amazonwebservices

2.x :-( Ouch....and I thought you were cool :-)

Ok I agree with you there.  However, our firm does not want to end up in a boxed canyon 2.x is putting eyeOS into.  Boxed canyon is a cowboy term. 

A box canyon is a small ravine or canyon with steep walls on three sides, allowing access and egress only through the mouth of the canyon. Box canyons were frequently used in the American West as convenient corrals, with their entrances fenced.[1] They were also used as kill sites for wild game, which could be driven into the confined space and killed.

eyeOS will be eaten alive by other products until they adopt Cloud strategy because honestly they are not a cloud solution just a server scaling tech and should remove the cloud marketing from the website.  OUCH that hurt to say but it is honest.  Your not a cloud play until you have Virtual Instances that can scale automatically.

#20 2011-10-02 05:51:32

Jmulvaney

Allow me to look after Australasia....

gunnarschlei wrote:

I don't know where Denial and Luca are from but with Lars, AWS, Steven (if he's wants to) and me We could cover Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, France and the US. We could set up individual companies with the same name make websites with the same template and offer the same services based on the same product. By joining forces rather than going alone we can generate more impact and marked share. I firmly believe that collaborating is beneficial for us and everyone else.

Board footer