Fork me on GitHub

#1 2013-10-23 17:02:14

sazearte

implement change eyeDock everyone

Hello, I'm looking for a way to change all my users the conf.xml file eyeDock, I do not want to move the file manuelement, There are too many users.
Do you know a way to move this file to all users of automated way?

I'm french, forgive me for my sins.

I have already seen this topic: http://forums.oneye-project.org/viewtopic.php?id=423

#2 2013-10-24 12:21:18

sazearte

Re: implement change eyeDock everyone

help me please

#3 2013-10-24 23:21:46

s0600204
Website

Hi sazearte,

Welcome to oneye.

There is no current way inside oneye to automate the distribution of a configuration file to all users.

However, I have put together something for you that should do as you wish. It is an oneye app that will copy the conf.xml file found in "system****/system/conf/skel/conf/eyeDock" into the relevant folder of every user on the system, except root. It can be found here: http://s06eye.co.uk/files4forum/propagate.eyepackage

To use:
- Upload and install it (within oneye - you will need to be root).
- Make your changes to eyeDock and manually transfer the conf.xml file as suggested in http://forums.oneye-project.org/viewtopic.php?id=423
- Go to Applications folder and run the new app: "Config Propagate". The app must be run by Root.
- Press the button 'Propagate'.
- If all goes well, all users will now be using the altered layout.

To remove the app, erase the folder "system****/apps/configPropagate".

Edit: You may wish to backup your oneye installation first.

Last edited by s0600204 (2013-10-24 23:22:23)

#4 2013-10-25 08:58:55

sazearte

Thank you so much!, This is exactly what was looking for!

#5 2015-08-15 16:57:33

Wolfy

I just added this little gem to my growing arsenol of killer apps. Thanks,  s0600204, whoever you are! 

BTW, I tried to visit your site.  I was very interested in looking at your oneye setups, but Anubis is dead (pun actually intended) and I haven't found the "rosetta stone" for Bastet. Do you have the "cat explorer" browser installed in there? The world may never know. So, if you're still out there,  s0600204, how about giving me a user account or opening her up to new users, so I can at least take a peek. 

Mine is still currently open for new members to come in and look around at OS1.hawkwolf.net.  Don't neglect the files in the public group.  I got lazy, and it really was taking too long to create a separate app for each, so I just started dumping games, videos and other activities in there. 

I have some ideas on how to combine single apps like those into "mega" app launchers of related material.  Take Youtube for the first example. I envision an app pretty much like eyeNav, but instead of a button bar, address bar and search bar at the top, it would only have bookmarks opened in a side panel.  Since this mega app will be specifically for watching videos, I would include a small button (16x16) or maybe just a word of text that shows & hides the side panel.  The best part of this type of app is the bookmarks from eyeNav would automatically turn it into an interactive app. Videos could be organized according to topic or category. Old or "not found" videos could be dropped, and more importantly, new ones could be added almost instantly.  If I got real slick, I might even be able to make the app smart enough to remove the excess codes from the embedded youtube links, so all anyone would have to do to add a video is copy/paste.

This type of app would immediately lend itself to a myriad of uses, since of course many other kinds of web resources can be saved as a bookmark & loaded into eyeNav. Using the bookmark feature to create such a open and interactive app can get messy and grow rapidly. To avoid an app like that from eventually becoming an unwieldy giant crusterfruck, the admin must keep complete control over it. I might also specialize apps, each for a specific purpose. In this example, a video could be checked for "validity" during the auto code strip segment. It would be fairly easy to check the url for certain characteristics and reject those that are not actually from youtube, or even to accept any video link but to reject everything else.

A similar type of app is needed for the zoho office productivity suite. Technically, the zoho suite does work, but I haven't messed with it in a long time because it is not one; it's 4 interconnected web accessible modules, one of which being the login module.  Users cannot be allowed to access any of the other three modules until they pass the login module. eyePass still works, as far as I can tell, and it can be used to expedite this logging in process. In my imaginary zoho suite, the "bookmarks" could be on a button bar along the top or maybe I will figure out how to make drop down menus.  For the most part, however, the organizational and instantaneous interactivity is gone. The links would be hard coded and will rarely need to change, unless adding or subtracting a feature or zoho rearranges its pages. 

eyePixlr, with 3 separate but equally interesting apps, and ubiquitous flash game sets like pandemic 1-3 are other good examples to use with this type of non-interactive launcher.  Even small groups of related videos (such as a movie and 2 or 3 sequels) would work well in a closed, non-interactive app.

Well, again, Things got a little carried away and I typed up another wall of text, but for those who made it to the end, Thanks for listening.  Typing this stuff up helps me to clarify in my mind what needs to be done to accomplish the goal.  It's sort of like doing a flowchart and mockup of the intended output.

Wolfy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oneye/
Currently accepting new users...  http://www.OS1.hawkwolf.net
onEye admins: OS1 is a beta testing hotbed. Non-core apps available upon request.

#6 2015-09-19 20:50:16

Wolfy

silly question, especially since the author of eyePropagate hasn't been heard from in about 3 years, but let's see... This app makes copies of the eyedock config file...  ok...  so far so good...  now explain why the admin has to copy that file manually even a single time, from root to skel?  Then skel to everywhere else.  Why not just start with the file in root and copy it to skel then everywhere else?  I'll have to recode and try it that way.

PS- Why stop at eyeDock?  Once I do some tweaking and testing with this app, I will eventually try to expand it to cover more than just the one config file.  eyeDesk config definitely comes to mind.  Maybe the config file for the miniAppLauncher too.  I currently don't use that floating tool bar because not only is it hard to see on my custom backgrounds, the menu has nothing I need in a place I don't need it.  It really needs a settings manager to change the menu options as well as the number of options available, while adjusting the size of the app launcher's background image on the fly to match the number of options.  Since there is no such preferences manager, I may eventually get around to customizing one or more miniApp launchers and then add them to this propagate app too, or I might just forget about it.

Originally, I was thinking of setting up several of these mini-app launchers as floating toolbars.  One for each option on the regular "start" toolbar.  I'm not sure if I still want to do that now though.  It would be better if I could add a toolbar coming off a toolbar, ie nested chains of toolbars.  At least 2 or 3 sub-menus per option should be possible, right?  I only rarely mess with the core apps, but in this case, I'll probably poke around in there and see if I can add that.

Last edited by Wolfy (2015-09-19 21:32:44)

Wolfy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oneye/
Currently accepting new users...  http://www.OS1.hawkwolf.net
onEye admins: OS1 is a beta testing hotbed. Non-core apps available upon request.

Board footer