Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-07-22 16:34:41

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Wanted: Features explained for Dummys

Hello guys,

I just noticed, that you're talkng about SaaS, DaaS and some other ideas, but what exactly do you mean with that? Please don't explain what SaaS and DaaS stand for, yes, I know them both, but this thread should create a list of required features in order to be able to call oneye 0.9 a SaaS capable software.

Let me start with the following:

• Checks on a user and groups basis:

• Permissions for applications

• Permissions for files in groups

• Publishing files to the web

• Quota system

You might talk about a lot more or different things, that I just cannot think about right now?!

At least Allen is talking about scaling servers, but I'm really not sure, how to impolement this into a PHP project such as oneye, since it's managed by the underlying hardware - isn't it?

Another task I'd like to focus on is HipHop support. Sadly eyeos series 2 got already support for it (see http://blog.eyeos.org/en/2011/07/06/eye … efficient/ ), but oneye 0.9 should likely support HipHop from its beginning. During the next days I'll install a virtual Ubuntu machine to test HipHop.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#2 2011-07-22 18:19:17

daniel

Re: Wanted: Features explained for Dummys

lars-sh wrote:

At least Allen is talking about scaling servers, but I'm really not sure, how to impolement this into a PHP project such as oneye, since it's managed by the underlying hardware - isn't it?

Even only using PHP we can make it easier to scale, for example, it could have every configuration and user file one a folder and organized hierarchically so that one can put those files on different servers easily and don't need to worry about having a server with 100TB (imagine a server with 1000 users who have 100GB of media files)
Also, it would be cool to have a better VFS system which could itself use FTP servers (or any other protocol) for some folders or some users...

Scaling the CPU is trickier, but we could allow runing remote apps for example (actually I've done a PoC to do such thing in eyeOS 1.x)

Keep in mind that I don't have any experience with server scaling, so I can be wrong about what I'm saying

#3 2011-07-22 18:54:49

amazonwebservices

If you are going to do a VM please read read the post on http://forums.lars-sh.de/viewtopic.php?id=9 

There is only one VM in linux that makes sense and will work at all.  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is the only OS which will be supported by stacks right now in a cloud environment (with out massive work).

The port is the eyeos to the OS which is supported by the cloud middle ware.  Once the port is supported by the OS.  The rest of the work is bit twiddling.

The VM has tennents in a cloud which has instances for each tennant.  The cloud will scale each instance of the supported os - 1-60 users per instance.  Each instance is compared to a server.  Then the files systems have to be compatible....and supported.   Actaully, a flat file system is very good for this like what is in eyeos.  MYSQL is fine too but I find it easier to VFS in samba.

#4 2011-07-22 20:29:41

gunnarschlei
Website

I think we should build into eyeos what ever we can. Server capacity is cheap these days  and one of the beauties of eyeos is it's simplicity. At the moment it has hardly any dependencies but if we start plugging in external app's (eg ulteo) we make set-up and maintenance so much more complex. However I agree on the external storage bit. Have the desktop run on one server and use cloud storage for the user files.
But the most important things in my opinion are full oOo / MS office support and collaboration on mail tasks and calendars. That's what customers need in an office environment (which is 90% of all computer use).

#5 2011-07-22 21:10:33

amazonwebservices

I would dissagree with the office features.  My experience is that eyeOS can not and will not provide the proper features for business.  MS has that taken and you can not compete against them.  Office environment is long haul and SUPPORT heavy.  I am in for fun.  Nothing else.  People want to have fun.  It can scale go viral and more.  Office is a dead duck in my opp....sorry to be that way but it is.

Go mobile or go home.  LOL

#6 2011-07-23 00:01:46

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

@ Daniel:

daniel wrote:

it could have every configuration and user file one a folder and organized hierarchically so that one can put those files on different servers easily

What's the different to eyeos right now? Yes, some software is written in a bad way, but in theory we're using php constants to define the paths.

daniel wrote:

and don't need to worry about having a server with 100TB

What about hard links? But actually I'm not sure how efficient they are...

daniel wrote:

Also, it would be cool to have a better VFS system

Nice to read, that you still like the virtual file system idea. I really didn't find a better way to store data securely on the server, so I will stay with a virtual file system - even though a new one, but compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

daniel wrote:

which could itself use FTP servers (or any other protocol) for some folders or some users...

oneye 0.9 will allow to set file system types on a folder basis, so in case you write a ftp file system time, this shouldn't be a problem at all smile !

daniel wrote:

Scaling the CPU is trickier, but we could allow runing remote apps for example (actually I've done a PoC to do such thing in eyeOS 1.x)

This should be possible using Solaris as far as I remember...

daniel wrote:

Keep in mind that I don't have any experience with server scaling, so I can be wrong about what I'm saying

Me neither.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#7 2011-07-23 00:06:33

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

gunnarschlei wrote:

but if we start plugging in external app's (eg ulteo) we make set-up and maintenance so much more complex.

They should be at least optionally and not mandatory!

gunnarschlei wrote:

But the most important things in my opinion are full oOo / MS office support and collaboration on mail tasks and calendars. That's what customers need in an office environment (which is 90% of all computer use).

I aggree with you - partly. We won't be able to give as much Office support as Google or Microsoft do, so in that case I prefer creating a service connector.
In case of calendar I'd definitely like to write one on my own.

amazonwebservices wrote:

sorry to be that way but it is.

Thanks for the sorry wink ...

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#8 2011-07-23 00:10:02

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

To summarize:
Extending the file system flexibility and number of different file system types is one heavy point and a second one is about integrating external services.

Integrating should be done using the service's API, but even though I'll probably work on a simple iFrame application, which works like the old eyePass, but a lot more flexible in order to allow easier integration of all kind of sites.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#9 2011-07-23 02:38:53

amazonwebservices

MS 365 plugin might just be a quick fix....we are on that right now.  Gives existing owners of 365 a way to plugin and play.

#10 2011-07-23 09:14:00

gunnarschlei
Website

I'd rather try to plug in google docs than MS365 but why not look into integrating Ulteo distributed apps. Ulteo can distribute any Linux application to a web browser. This could give us native oOo support for oneye.
thhp://www.ulteo.com

#11 2011-07-23 23:34:43

amazonwebservices

We are going to scrape the barnicles off of eyeOS and start from scratch on the GUI side with integrations into movino - red5 - and more....

Board footer