Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2011-09-22 20:08:11

Boneye

Shared Folder

Hi guys, and thank you so much for continuing 1.9!

I'm so glad I found you.

I tried out EyeOS 2.x and it was a miserable experience on a shared webhost, even after considerable hacking.

But I found 1.9 on SourceForge (it's curious that it's COMPLETELY absent from the EyeOS web site) and it works like a dream by comparison.

This was before I noticed oneye existed.

Anyway, a very basic user question (I hope) -- how do you enable saving to shared/group folders from within the applications?

For example, in either the word processor or the spreadsheet module, the File Save / Open dialog box will NOT navigate higher than the current user's Home directory.

How can I save a new file to a shared or group folder?

I'm not necessarily asking for file locking/version tracking/etc.... yet.  I just want to see the shared directory from within the application.

#2 2011-09-25 00:56:23

lucaferrario
Administrator

Re: Shared Folder

Hi Boneye,
after reading your post, I decided to test the sharing functions of my oneye system.
I was disappointed to know that they don't work at all, at least using the real VFS (I haven't tested them with the virtual one yet). If I login as a normal user, member of "aaa" group, not only I can't browse the "aaa" folder, but also the "Share with..." function does not work.
I think that it has to be added to the development roadmap...this month I'm already busy...if some other developer has time to work on it, it would be good, otherwise I'll work on it in a few months...

#3 2011-09-25 01:03:22

lucaferrario
Administrator

Ok, I've done a bit of research and I answer myself....it seems that the sharing should work with the virtual VFS, flagging the files as read only. So obviously it doesn't work in real VFS (since it is unable to make the files "read only")...
I don't know how to make it work with real VFS...doing symlinking would be a good idea for a basic support, but there would be the concurrence problem... I put it on my "long term" to-do list... If someone has more time in the short-term and some good ideas, I'll be happy to leave him this task tongue

Anyway, Boneye, if you use the virtual VFS (default) you should not have any problems in sharing files (you save it in a local directory and then use the "Share with..." option of the context menu)...

Last edited by lucaferrario (2011-09-25 01:23:31)

#4 2011-09-26 20:10:15

Boneye

Right, and thank you for the responses.

I HAVE been able to share directories and files -- users can get to them via the File Manager.

But what they CANNOT do is navigate to them via the File Open dialogs in any of the applications!

So I was asking how to let the application File Dialog browse the rest of the tree -- as I said, I can't get it to navigate above the user's Home directory.

#5 2011-09-26 22:40:25

lucaferrario
Administrator

You're right, now we have only the "Home" tree... We should add a "Group" tree...
And also, but only for the root user, a "Filesystem" tree, like the eyeFiles' one...
I add the task to the to-do list ;-)

#6 2011-09-27 03:48:16

lucaferrario
Administrator

Wow, I have found that in eyeOSxxxxx/apps/eyeDialog/func.eyecode there is a lot of commented code with functions to show groups tree...
Lars (or Matthew, Daniel or any other from the old eyeOS Team), do you know why it was commented? Is it buggy or something else?
Thank you!

#7 2011-09-28 16:20:37

Boneye

Oh this is too bad.  I really thought onEye / eyeOS was at least a rudimentary self-hosted open source alternative to Google Apps, but it's really not there yet.  sad  Still looks beautiful though.

I suppose the "best case scenario" is that they simply commented out the code because they were saving it for a future release or paid product?

(The need to use File Manager to access shared files doesn't bother me at all, but the non-techies for whom I'm setting this up would be confused.  And of course the spreadsheet app is too primitive for any real work.)

Sharing features are kind of essential in a purported "cloud OS".  sad

Best of luck to the new developers; I really hope this thing matures and improves.

And thank you for the responses.  smile

#8 2011-09-28 17:06:16

lucaferrario
Administrator

Well...I don't think that oneye will ever have great word processor and spreadsheets, they're simply too complex programs to write and mantain for a small community... The right road is to make it easy to integrate external portals... So you will be able to easily integrate Google Docs in oneye via their APIs (this way it should already be possible) or via eyeIframize, for example! (once the proxy will be completed, it is a work in progress by FireWalkerX).
Sure sharing features are essential, they will be worked on!

#9 2011-10-12 23:25:24

Boneye

Fair enough.  But I was trying to avoid GoogleDocs (and relying on them to house data), not wrap and embrace it.   sad

#10 2011-10-13 00:52:26

lucaferrario
Administrator

Google Docs was just an example...There is Zoho or other alternatives out there... But I mean that we should avoid to re-write something that has already been written and is mantained from communities that are hundreds times larger than us...we should focus on the core (the web OS), which is something much more rare on the web and we already have a great base system to work on (the best open-source web OS at the moment, IMHO).

#11 2012-03-16 20:45:50

Boneye

Hello!

Is there any progress on file sharing / opening file shares within the onEye apps?

#12 2012-03-20 00:02:38

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Sorry Boneye, changing this would require either an API break or modifying all applications. It's not part of any todo list for the moment.

How do you use oneye? Could you collect some more guys interested in this feature?

It's definitely something *I* cannot work on for free this year. Sorry sad ...

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer