Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2012-02-21 21:40:21

s0600204
Website

Something I've been working on...

Hello everybody,

Just a little post on something I've been working on: improving the user interface for creating and editing ACLs.

As I've read in several places, people find the ui for ACL administration unclear and somewhat confusing. Yeah, I know I wrote a Guide that can be found at http://forums.lars-sh.de/viewtopic.php?id=100 but I feel the ui could still use some work. So here's what I've currently done:

Firstly, the page for creating ACLs: (The window on the left is the original ui, the one on the right the modified ui)
create acls
There are two main modifications here, the first one being that it now provides a description of the selected Service and Function so you, as admin, get some sense of what it is the function you're looking at does. The second modification is that checkbox bottom-right. When checked, it hides certain functions in the list of functions. The entries hidden are functions that oneye relies on for core functionality and thus really shouldn't ever be blocked/denied. Yes, we could just remove them from ever displaying, but the checkbox provides the option to display them for selection - just in case you're curious or are really sure about what you're doing. (And it defaults to enabled)

Secondly, the page for editing ACLs:
edit acls
Here we have mainly a cleaning up of elements, as well as the addition of a description of the Service and the Function that the rule selected affects.

And lastly, the page for adding and editing targets for the ACLs:
acl targets
Again, mainly just a tidying up of elements. But there are also some other small modifications that may not be obvious from the img above. The first is that the 'done' button is disabled until a target is added (also, if you remove all targets, the same button will be disabled again). The second modification is that the 'params' table now has its title changed depending on the function chosen. And if the function chosen does not accept parameters, the params table and its attendant buttons hide themselves.

And that just about wraps it up. The modifications don't change anything to how ACLs function, nor do they add any additional functionality overall, but I hope that they make ACL creation and editing slightly easier.

Just before I sign off and 'open the floor' to comments, I should probably mention that these modifications have not been applied to the main 1.9 branch, but are currently available from my playground area in the repository. If you'd like to try my work out, follow Luca's guide to installing from svn, but with one small alteration - somewhere between steps 3 & 6, download and extract this tar from the repository (http://eyeos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc … /?view=tar) into [eyeroot]/apps/. It should replace eyeControl. The modifications have now been merged into the 1.9 branch. (r. 7358)

So, what do people think?

Last edited by s0600204 (2012-02-23 13:52:47)

#2 2012-02-22 02:15:04

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Re: Something I've been working on...

s0600204 wrote:

When checked, it hides certain functions in the list of functions. The entries hidden are functions that oneye relies on for core functionality and thus really shouldn't ever be blocked/denied. Yes, we could just remove them from ever displaying, but the checkbox provides the option to display them for selection - just in case you're curious or are really sure about what you're doing. (And it defaults to enabled)

Yes smile ! Could you post a list of blocked functions, please?

s0600204 wrote:

Secondly, the page for editing ACLs:
http://i.imgur.com/PberW.png

Can you explain me what the table (left image) is about to do?

s0600204 wrote:

nor do they add any additional functionality overall, but I hope that they make ACL creation and editing slightly easier.

Isn't easyness a functionality, too? tongue

s0600204 wrote:

So, what do people think?

Why didn't we already do it this way?

Currently I've no time for a deep test, but all I'd done 'til now worked just fine wink ... Feel free to commit it!

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

#3 2012-02-22 19:27:08

s0600204
Website

lars-sh wrote:

Yes smile ! Could you post a list of blocked functions, please?

Sure. The following is a list of all the functions selectable. The red ones are hidden by default.
extern

• getFile

eyex

• addEvent

• concatRich

• concatValue

• concatValueB64

• createDiv

• createLayer

• createWidget

• fadeInLayer

• fadeOutLayer

• hideLayer

• isLayer

• loadCSS

• loadScript

• makeDrag

• messageBox

• moveWidget

• rawjs

• removeCSS

• removeLayer

• removeWidget

• resizeWidget

• runjs

• sendMessage

• setDiv

• setValue

• setValueB64

• setWallpaper

• showLayer

• updateCSS

mmap

• addToBuffer

• array2js

• array2jsArg

• releaseBuffer

• routemsg

proc

• close

• end

• findChecknum

• findChecknumByName

• findNChecknumByPid

• findNameByChecknum

• findNameByPid

• findPid

• findPidByName

• getProcByChecknum

• getProcByPid

• getProcessTable

• getTask

• getTtyByPid

• launch

• setProcessUser

um

• checkAdminPermissions

• createUser

• deleteUser

• getAllUsers

• getCurrentGroups

• getCurrentUserDir

• getUserDir

• getUserFilePath

• login

• retrieveUser

• updateUser

• userExist

vfs

• appendToFileBinary

• checkPermissions

• checkSpecialChars

• cleanTemp

• copy

• copyDir

• create

• delete

• erase

• fileExists

• filesize

• getDirContent

• getExtension

• getRealName

• getVirtualName

• isGroupDir

• isdir

• mkdir

• move

• open

• printFile

• readFile

• readInfo

• realToVirtual

• realToVirtualDir

• real_checkPermissions

• real_copy

• real_create

• real_delete

• real_erase

• real_fileExists

• real_filesize

• real_getDirContent

• real_getExtension

• real_mkDir

• real_move

• real_open

• real_putFileContent

• real_rmdir

• rename

• resolvePath

• rmdir

• writeFile

lars-sh wrote:

Can you explain me what the table (left image) is about to do?

I can try tongue

Ever since the ACL pages were first added to eyeControl (by sibok, r.5070, Feb. 2009), the table in question has been 'friends' with three buttons that, as far as I can tell, have always been commented out in the code. Going by the names of these buttons, they were originally for adding, editing and deleting the ACL Targets. I suspect that the intention was for this table to list the various targets of the ACL rule, and the buttons were for managing them. (Possibly a dialog window would popup up permitting entry of target name and type). But sometime during development, sibok instead decided to create a seperate page for the purposes of managing ACL targets, but forgot to remove the table (and its commented-out attendant buttons).

Of course, I may be wrong.

lars-sh wrote:
s0600204 wrote:

nor do they add any additional functionality overall, but I hope that they make ACL creation and editing slightly easier.

Isn't easyness a functionality, too? tongue

Well, it's a feature, certainly.

#4 2012-04-02 01:06:27

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Updated the translations with all new strings from the latest ACL changes some days ago smile !

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer