Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2012-05-05 00:49:38

s0600204
Website

Importing events into eyeCalendar

A couple of days ago (Wednesday, I think), we had a few spam messages posted to this forum. Lars of course noticed and removed them, but amongst the posts lost there was one message that I think was a legitimate request for information (which was not posted by the same guy/bot who was spamming the forum).

The message went something like this (paraphrased from memory):

Hi,

How do I import calendar information from Google Calendar into the calendar in oneye? I have about a hundred events that I'd like to import.

Now firstly, apologies to the person who posted this (and probably got inadvertently banned), and secondly, you can't import event-data from Google Calendar into the oneye Calendar. In fact you can't import (or export) anything in (or out) of eyeCalendar.

Now I think that this is probably not a very good thing, so I've quickly put together something that should permit data to be imported into eyeCalendar, as long as it's in *.ics format (a single file of which can hold an entire calendar's worth of events. I don't use google calendar but apparently it is possible to export from there into this format: http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/ … &ctx=topic ).

There are, however, the following flaws:

• If an event start on one day and ends on a different day, this won't carry over into eyeCalendar. This is more down to the limitations of eyeCalendar itself, than anything else, although... *breaks off in thought*

• Recurring events don't.

• Similarly, an all day event typically won't be, and can be found scrunched up at the start of the day.

• Much of the event data from the original *.ics file is lost. Description, location, category and a lot more is discarded in the import process. Again this is a limitation of eyeCalendar as none of this information can be stored in the *.EYENOTE files eyeCalendar (and only eyeCalendar) uses.

Still, should you wish to try it, replace EYEROOT/apps/eyeCalendar with the contents of this *.tar file from playground: http://eyeos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc … /?view=tar

#2 2012-05-27 19:58:56

s0600204
Website

Re: Importing events into eyeCalendar

As I studied eyeCalendar and its code in order to write the import function, I couldn't help noticing that certain aspects of eyeCalendar don't seem to work correctly. Things like the week-grid not resizing properly, the inability to add events to anything other than the first calendar or to change the colour of the calendars, and the configuration not being recalled correctly in the configure menu.

With this in mind, I started to wonder if it was worth trying to fix the app, or if it would be easier to rewrite it from scratch. Because we do need a working calendar.

What do you guys think?

#3 2012-05-28 09:59:49

fasenderos

first of all, i'm not really interesting in eyeCalendar, cause i never never use a calendar software in my (digital) life...the only calendar that I use is that one of my mobile phone to remember the birthday of my girlfriend smile...obviously I know a lot of people use software like google calendar, mozilla sunbird etc.. and that an OS without a calendar is incomplete...
with this in mind, these are my own considerations:

1)

I couldn't help noticing that certain aspects of eyeCalendar don't seem to work correctly. Things like the week-grid not resizing properly, the inability to add events to anything other than the first calendar or to change the colour of the calendars, and the configuration not being recalled correctly in the configure menu.

Things like this probably would be easier try to fix them.

2)

If an event start on one day and ends on a different day, this won't carry over into eyeCalendar. This is more down to the limitations of eyeCalendar itself, than anything else, although... *breaks off in thought*
    Recurring events don't.
    Similarly, an all day event typically won't be, and can be found scrunched up at the start of the day.

I'm not a developer, but I think that also things like this would be easier try to fix them.

3)

Much of the event data from the original *.ics file is lost. Description, location, category and a lot more is discarded in the import process. Again this is a limitation of eyeCalendar as none of this information can be stored in the *.EYENOTE files eyeCalendar (and only eyeCalendar) uses.

This is the only flaw I'm worried about...what do you mean with "none of this information can be stored in the *.EYENOTE files eyeCalendar"? Do you mean that the only solution is to use a Database? If this is true, you have to rewrite from scratch all the oneye system, so the right question now is: it was worth trying to fix the app, or it would be easier to rewrite from scratch the entire OS?

A good software need the ability to import/export files from/to other famous softwares of the same kind, such as OpenOffice for eyeDocs or Thunderbird for eyeMail etc...
so if you think that the only way for eyeCalendar to import/export files from/to other softwares is to rewrite it from scratch, then do not worry about "Things like the week-grid not resizing properly, the inability to change the colour of the calendars" because these are minor features...the ability to import/export is a "Must"

Hope it can help

Andrea

#4 2012-05-28 15:37:04

s0600204
Website

fasenderos wrote:

3)

s0600204 wrote:

Much of the event data from the original *.ics file is lost. Description, location, category and a lot more is discarded in the import process. Again this is a limitation of eyeCalendar as none of this information can be stored in the *.EYENOTE files eyeCalendar (and only eyeCalendar) uses.

This is the only flaw I'm worried about...what do you mean with "none of this information can be stored in the *.EYENOTE files eyeCalendar"? Do you mean that the only solution is to use a Database? If this is true, you have to rewrite from scratch all the oneye system, so the right question now is: it was worth trying to fix the app, or it would be easier to rewrite from scratch the entire OS?

While I can see why you might think I meant that, no, I did not intend to mean that we need to use a database. What I meant is that currently the only information able to be saved by the eyeCalendar code are the Titles and Dates of events. It should be possible to expand the current code so that it is capable of saving more information about an event than this, such as location and a description.

I suppose what I meant to say was "none of this information can be stored in and recalled from the *.EYENOTE files using the current eyeCalendar code".

(That said, I have been thinking about the possiblity of writing an abstraction layer into oneye that would permit admins to choose between using .xml and a database system for storing user configuration... but that's just conjecture at this point, and would require heavy modification to much of the underlying code.)

But no, if I was going to rewrite the eyeCalendar application, I would probably use .ics files natively to store calendar information, instead of the existing eyenotes system. This would make importing/exporting entire calendars very easy as they would already be bundled up in a semi-standardised format that almost every other calendar application (Thunderbird, Google Calendar, et al.) in the world can understand. (Getting the existing eyeCalendar code to use .ics natively, though possible, would involve a lot of work, and IMHO it would be easier to rewrite the entire application than to do this. Square peg, round hole sort of situation.)

Board footer