Fork me on GitHub

Announcement

The oneye project has been discontinued. You might not expect further fixes and support from us. All community related systems are set to read-only mode. Though feel free to download and use oneye as-is or even fork it over at GitHub.

#1 2012-04-30 20:32:19

s0600204
Website

eyeUpload cross-site sharing

As those who have been following the commits to the repository will probably be aware, over the past few weeks I have been working on an experimental new feature for the eyeUpload application.

This new feature is a cross-site sharing capability that permits a file to be transferred directly from one oneye installation to another. The UI looks something like this:
crossShare_tabs-sm.png

Now there are a few things I would still like to tweak, so it's not completely finished, but it does work and I thought I'd throw it out there for people to try (if they wish to) and to get some feedback.

To this purpose, I've set up a couple of test systems that you can pass files back and forth between:
url : http://s0600204.bplaced.net/anubis
url : http://s0600204.bplaced.net/bastet

You can use these user credentials on both systems...
user : tester
pass : tester
...or you can create your own account.

You will no doubt notice that the eyeUpload application on the system 'Bastet' has a different UI to the one on 'Anubis'. More specifically, it looks like this:
crossShare_tool-sm.png
The reason for this is in the first image, you'll notice that there isn't much space for the content of the cross-site tab. I tried playing around with trying to get it to resize automatically when the cross-site tab is selected, but ultimately failed. So I rewrote the UI to use a toolbar rather than tabs, and now the application grows when 'cross-site' is selected and shrinks again for the other options.

Anyhow, I'd really like to know which one people prefer, the version running on Anubis or the one running on Bastet.

Have fun!

p.s. The server has been playing up all day. If oneye doesn't load straight away, just wait a few minutes and try again.

#2 2012-05-27 19:56:28

s0600204
Website

Re: eyeUpload cross-site sharing

Okay guys, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. It's been four weeks since I posted the above. I know people have read it. I know at least one person has tried the test systems. But nobody has anything to say?

Please? A little feedback?

Anyhow, there have been a few small modifications made since the above post, including the ability to disable the feature in eyeControl (which disables incoming as well as outgoing connections), and several UI tweaks. These have been pushed to the test servers.

But until someone else shows more than a passing interest, I'm suspending my development of this feature.

#3 2012-05-28 10:26:27

fasenderos

This new feature is a cross-site sharing capability that permits a file to be transferred directly from one oneye installation to another

This is an amazing feature, great job.

Anyhow, I'd really like to know which one people prefer, the version running on Anubis or the one running on Bastet.

Sincerely I prefer the version running on Anubi, because the tabs are more user friendly than the toolbar...why don't you give users the ability to resize the window? For example eyeProcess have tabs and in the bottom-right corner you can resize the window.

Last edited by fasenderos (2012-05-28 10:28:29)

#4 2012-05-28 17:04:19

s0600204
Website

fasenderos wrote:

This is an amazing feature, great job.

Thank you. And thanks for the feedback.

fasenderos wrote:

why don't you give users the ability to resize the window?

I did consider giving the user the possibility to resize the eyeUpload window (and in the toolbar-variation running on Bastet, you can), but I ran into some... impracticalities.

If I were to enable resizing, it would mean enabling resizing for the entire application, not just for the cross-site tab. You may be thinking, 'so what?', but in the case of the 'Simple' and 'Web' options, I feel such an ability would be more of a hindrance than a help. This is because the UI for those tabs are not tolerant to being resized. In the case of the 'Simple' option, the ui element used to upload files is actually a predefined size established not in the eyeUpload code, but in the widget's own code. To modify that could cause unknown problems to other applications. In the case of the 'Web' option, resizing the window would, as it were, 'strand' the UI element in the middle of a lot of empty space and it would just... look wrong (in my opinion). And if the user were to shrink the window...

Now in the toolbar-variation on Bastet, I got round the problem by turning off the resize ability for the first three options ('Simple', 'Advanced', and 'Web'), forcing the window to conform to a fixed size. But for the 'cross-site' option, resizing is turned on and the user can resize the window to their heart's content. I tried doing a similar thing with the tabbed-variation, but down to what I can only term as the peculiarities of how the tabs function in oneye, I couldn't get it to work AND permit users to use eyeUpload to... uh... upload files. Or indeed do anything except switch tabs.

I suppose I'm probably trying to be too clever, and I could just enable resizing and just turn a blind eye to ui practicality...

Tell you what, I'll enable resizing on Anubis, and you can see for yourself.

#5 2012-05-29 11:20:30

fasenderos

Tell you what, I'll enable resizing on Anubis, and you can see for yourself.

I have a strange problem with the resolution in Anubis... anubism.png

#6 2012-05-29 13:34:42

s0600204
Website

Ah... yes, I've come across this before. It seems to be a shortcoming of the server, rather than a problem with oneye. The best form of recourse is simply to hit refresh on your browser and hope for the best.

The problem seems to be that the server (bplaced.net) sometimes truncates the files it sends to the browser. In the screenshot above, it appears the file truncated is one of the core stylesheets, the one that provides the basic appearance of 'windows' within oneye. I've had it also occur to several javascript files as well. The common denominator is size - the stylesheet and the javascript files in question are fairly long. Going by the response given by the browser, this isn't a problem with packets getting lost on the internet - the browser reports that the file has been received without problem. However, studying the received file reveals lines missing from the end of it, indicating that the file is truncated before it is sent.

It doesn't always happen, and I've only had it happen with this hosting service. But I suppose that's what I get for trying to host it for free... tongue

#7 2012-05-29 16:07:36

fasenderos

all day long I have my eyes on this screen....
schermatadel20120529153.png

However I'll take your word for it and probably the best solution is the toolbar version...

Tell you what, how about creating your own application (separate from eyeUpload) so you can manage graphics as you want...maybe you can add more feature like Remote Control ("eyeTeamViewer" smile ), internal/external drag'n'drop and so on...there is no limit to the imagination smile

*edit
finally with chrome I can login in Anubis...

I suppose I'm probably trying to be too clever, and I could just enable resizing and just turn a blind eye to ui practicality...

No no no.. don't turn a blind eye to ui practicality...the tab-version with the resize enabled is horrible smile (giants button in the Advanced Tab)
So in my opinion the toolbar solution is the "best"

Last edited by fasenderos (2012-05-29 19:51:51)

#8 2012-05-30 02:47:20

Ansem
Website

Question, how were you able to manage such a thing, especially with bplaced since it doesn't allow wget or curl.
Just my curiosity smile

My website: http://www.dedeno.net - Learn Japanese
So many are still waiting for their new beginning, even you and even me

#9 2012-05-30 18:46:56

s0600204
Website

Ansem wrote:

Question, how were you able to manage such a thing, especially with bplaced since it doesn't allow wget or curl.

It's achieved via the eyeURL library, which in turn calls the HTTP_request functionality of the eyePear library, which provides a wrapper for PEAR (the PHP Extension and Application Repository), which "contains useful software libraries and applications".

How PEAR achieves it, I'm not sure, but as it appears to be managed by the same people that manage the PHP language itself, and I don't have their knowledge of or skill with PHP, that's not surprising.

Oh, and various PEAR libraries have been shipping with oneye for a while now. See the README in EYEROOT/system/lib/eyePear for more information.

fasenderos wrote:

how about creating your own application (separate from eyeUpload)?

I did consider this, but I felt that incorporating the cross-site functionality into eyeUpload was a little more convenient for the user (seeing as it can be called straight from the eyeFiles toolbar, rather than having it needed to be called separately).

#10 2012-05-30 21:48:09

lars-sh
Administrator
Website

Ansem wrote:

especially with bplaced since it doesn't allow wget or curl.

Therefor allow_url_fopen need to be enabled and it is for default...

PHP can access files by specifying the exact url, including protocols like http.

Best regards,
Lars Knickrehm

The oneye project.

Board footer